BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Name that sound...

More
16 Jun 2009 14:11 #801 by Rich-lj
Name that sound... was created by Rich-lj
On my way to work this morning I could hear a faint noise coming from what sounded like the front passenger side wheel area. It sounded like a bearing that has gone dry, but only made a noise just as I accellerated or just as I lifted off the accellerator for a split second. On my way home tonight it was still doing it, I went through the toll booths on the bridge and as I was setting off down the dual carriageway and i started getting a louder noise from the rear. I sounded like I had muds on, which I do, so I thought maybe I had a flat or soft tyre but when I checked they were all fine.

Are both these noises the same problem and it just sounded like it was coming from the front, and what is it likely to be? :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jun 2009 08:42 #802 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Name that sound...
Rich

I have found it really hard to diagnose these. Noises that appear to come from the front with the windows closed can appear to come from the back when the windows are open.

It could be so many things from wheel bearings, UJs to clutch release bearings, transfer box chain or differentials.

I would suspect a rear wheel bearing or transfer chain noise first.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
17 Jun 2009 15:06 #804 by Rich-lj
Replied by Rich-lj on topic Re:Name that sound...
When I got home I had a look and put my hand on the diff case, it was very warm. I'm guessing it isn't supposed to get warm/hot?

If its the t-chain, is there any way of inspecting it without taking the whole box out and stripping it?

More
17 Jun 2009 18:42 #806 by Rich-lj
ok, I got the thing up on axle stands earlier and put it in gear and let it drive its self. With the jack handle stuck in my ear I made out that the sound was coming from just behind the passenger side rear brake, I assume that is where the bearing is sat? Hopefuly thats what it is.

Does anyone know the part numbers for a rear bearing and any seals required to do the job and also Is there a guide to doing it anywhere? I'm sure its a straight forward job, but I'd like to make sure I'm set for doing it before I pull it all apart.

More
18 Jun 2009 05:21 - 18 Jun 2009 05:23 #807 by mlines
Do you really need to ask ;)

The guide to doing it is HERE

and I sell the bearings and seals in the Bigjimny shop

The bearing and oil seal kit is £22.00

The bearing, retainer ring (NON-ABS Cars only) and oil seal kit is £37.26

Both are about £2.14 to post first class

The reason for offering two kits is because the retainer ring is actually slightly cheaper from the Suzuki dealer (about £1 cheaper) so you may want to save a £1 and get it from your dealer.

All prices include VAT.

BUT - if you look at the shop this morning they are not listed as I am awaiting stock, my supplier emailed me yesterday lunch to say they had been dispatched on next day delivery so they should be in later today. Once they are in then they will appear.

Martin

235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Last edit: 18 Jun 2009 05:23 by mlines.

More
18 Jun 2009 12:24 #810 by mlines
Now back in stock!

Martin

More
18 Jun 2009 17:31 #811 by Rich-lj
Thanks for your reply, but I'm confused now...

Do I need both of these sets or just the bearing, retainer ring and seal kit? I don't have abs if that helps?

More
18 Jun 2009 17:46 #812 by mlines
Rich,

You only need one or the other. If you buy the complete kit which includes the bearing, retainer ring and oil seal then you have everything you need - £37.26 + £3.00 p+p

The other set (£22 + £2.36 p+p) does not have the retainer ring, this is for people who want to get their own retainer ring from the dealer, the only place you can buy them, or find a magic way of getting the old one off (extremely hard to do!), . The ones I supply come from my local Suzuki dealer and by putting them in the kit I just save you the journey to the dealer. Whilst there are savings on the bearing and oil seal. I cannot offer savings on the retainer ring.

Martin

Martin

More
18 Jun 2009 17:51 #813 by Rich-lj
Ideal, thanks for that. I need it to hang in there for at least another week, as I have the other car to fix first!

More
18 Jun 2009 18:06 #814 by mlines
No problem, I send them 1st class so they should be there the day following when I post them.

Martin

More
19 Jun 2009 20:01 #816 by Rich-lj
Its getting worse, I don't think it will last another week. I'll order one from you tomorrow if thats ok.

Just out of interest, what oil is recomended in the axle? I have 5 gallons of 80/90 in my garage if I can use that?

More
21 Jun 2009 12:30 #824 by Rich-lj
Do I defo need the retaining ring or can it be expended and removed with some heat?

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds