BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Gears difficult to engage

More
22 Dec 2022 08:57 #246490 by Splasher6
Hi all, apologies if this topic has already come up but I cant seem to find an answer to this problem.  I have a 2004 1.3 Jimny which has just done
40k - runs very well and is very reliable.  The only problem is the gear change which is can be difficult and sometimes takes a few attempts to get the gear shift to move to the correct location- feels as though the shift is sometimes out of alignment..  I have found mention of a bush at the end of the gear shift and would like to check this out on the assumption it could be this that is causing the problem.  I'd appreciate any advice on what the problem could be and how to remove the gear shift to check/replace the bush.   Do you have e the bush in the online shop.?    Great site many thanks in anticipation.   

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
22 Dec 2022 09:59 #246491 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Gears difficult to engage
When was the oil last changed and was it with the correct gl4 spec oil? This can make it sticky once you get up to temperature.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
22 Dec 2022 16:15 #246493 by Roger Fairclough
The bush you mention is the "control lever bushing" and that sits on the end of the gear lever. This bushing acts between the g/lever and the "gear shift control arm assembly" via the "gear shift control arm".It.s basically a small piece of nylon that acts as a cushion to transmit the vertical movement of the gear lever into horizontal movement of the rods that change the gears. If this bush breaks up the gear change becomes sloppy, vague and difficult to change gear.
Cost of the bush is pence, if it is sold separately. Just hope it is so speak to Martin on this. Getting at the bush is not difficult, you just remove the trim around the g/lever, remove the metal plate that secures the lever and remove same vertically. If there is a nylon bush, usually white at the end of it, it's not the bush, but no bush then you need a new one. When they break up the bits fall into the box and you will need to change the oil which will hopefully flush out the bits.
You could of course change the oil first and hopefully you will find the bits and then and you can buy the bush before you remove the g/lever.

Roger

More
22 Dec 2022 20:17 #246495 by jackonlyjack
Fill the box with redline mt90 oil
also check rear engine mount and the 2 rubber bobbins 
i recently replaced mine with austin mini poly exhaust bobbins 

Jack
Attachments:

More
23 Dec 2022 16:17 #246504 by Splasher6
Replied by Splasher6 on topic Gears difficult to engage
Great thanks for the reply, really helpful. Thanks again.
Richard

More
28 Jan 2023 12:33 #247226 by JKemo35
Replied by JKemo35 on topic Gears difficult to engage
Where did you get them bobbins? Got a link? Cheers

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds