BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

2nd gear crunch

More
25 Nov 2022 15:23 - 25 Nov 2022 17:15 #246117 by samdjones
2nd gear crunch was created by samdjones
Hello,

Jimny virgin here, just had my first test drive in one. A fairly clean o2 (2004), and I like it for the most part. Definitely, a little event driving these things and I can't wait to take one off-road!

However, back to my particular car as tested - the one concern I have is the 2nd gear. It's just the change that crunches, mostly down from 3rd. Up-changes are OK if taken slowly, but downshifts are hit and miss, no matter what I tried to drive around it. I even tried double-declutching and blipping the throttle etc but it was still hard to get around, then sometimes it randomly shifted ok without trying ofc.

So I'm not sure what to make of it. The rest of the car seems pretty good, and maybe with practice, I'll figure out how to drive around the crunches. Is this a common problem with these cars? Worn syncro I'd guess. A change of gearbox oil will probably help I suppose, or at least mask the problem for a while. Are synchros hard/expensive to fix on these if it comes to it? 

Any advice?

Many thanks,
Sam
Last edit: 25 Nov 2022 17:15 by samdjones.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
25 Nov 2022 19:07 #246124 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic 2nd gear crunch
The boxes on these are usually very precise almost bolt action, there's enough for sale to find a nice one as fixing can be expensive.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: samdjones

More
25 Nov 2022 20:02 - 25 Nov 2022 20:02 #246125 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic 2nd gear crunch
Sounds like you need a replacement gearbox, budget for it in your offer, together with a new clutch

Have a look online at prices of good used gearboxes.
Last edit: 25 Nov 2022 20:02 by lightning.

More
25 Nov 2022 21:32 #246126 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:2nd gear crunch
Check the gearbox mounts are ok

Sent from my moto g42 using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds