BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Any advice on the oil?

More
14 Nov 2022 16:43 #245932 by Vandoni
right now i'm running 10w30 and i noticed that when i push the car for some time it shows signs of being too thin and i thought of using thicker oil in the future
any advice on the oil i should run?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Nov 2022 17:17 #245933 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic Any advice on the oil?
The crucial information required to answer this question is what's the climate/temperature like where you are, and that's not available to us.

Take a look at your owner's manual, it should have a chart showing what grades of oil are considered acceptable for a given temperature range, you would generally run the lightest oil suitable for the climate you're in.

I don't know why you feel a 10w30 oil might be "too thin", but it's generally acceptable for use in most temperate climates, I'm in the tropics and I run a 10w40, because I can see the difference between a 10w30 & a 10w40 in the oil pressure in the heat of the day.

More
14 Nov 2022 17:18 #245934 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Any advice on the oil?
The standard oil [in the UK] is 5W30 (not 10W30), so slightly thinner when cold.

Under nearly all driving conditions the water temperature on my Gen 3 doesn't go much above 95C, you might be a bit higher if ambient temperature is higher where you are?

Not sure if you regularly see much higher water temperatures, but if you do it might indicate that the water cooling is not working as well as it could?

Robin

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
14 Nov 2022 17:20 #245935 by Vandoni
Replied by Vandoni on topic Any advice on the oil?
the temp here ranges from -10C (which we don't see almost ever) to +37C in a year, i live in italy, the thing is, i want to be able to stay at high rpms without risking the intergrity of the engine because the oil has overheated and thinned out too much
i was thinking of running 10w40 but that weight might be too low to ensure proper lubrication during hard pulls and my "rallies" offroad

More
14 Nov 2022 17:22 #245936 by Vandoni
the water temps have never given me any issues even in the summer (we get to 37C here in italy), but i'm worried that the oil might thin out too much, and that running an oil that's too thick might not let it get thin enough to lubricate well if i don't drive hard

More
14 Nov 2022 17:27 #245938 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Any advice on the oil?
I have run both 5 30 and 10 40 and couldn't notice any difference tbfBut I do change all oils every 2000 miles 

More
14 Nov 2022 17:35 #245942 by Vandoni
the thing that worries me is if the oil is going to get too thin if i stay at high rpms for too long, i'm building my jimny as if it was an old style rally car and want to be able to keep the revs high without worrying too much

More
14 Nov 2022 17:35 #245943 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Any advice on the oil?
I would expect that if your oil is getting too hot then your water temperature would also go up. The only reason I mentioned water is that as far as I know the Jimny doesn't have an oil temperature sensor, so water temperature is the only thing we can easily measure.

You could follow JackonlyJack's advice and try 10W40 or best of both worlds, 5W40, but that might be a bit more expensive.

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
14 Nov 2022 17:37 - 14 Nov 2022 17:38 #245944 by Vandoni
yeah the m13a doesn't have an oil temp sensor, but i'm having an aftermarket one installed and an indicator, maybe i'll just use 10w40 to see if it's better, otherwise i might try 10w50? hoping it's not too thick
also my water temp is always in the middle even after pushing a lot, even though the engine bay is pretty warm in that case and i tend to stop and let the engine idle with the hood opened to help it with the temps, you know, just in case
Last edit: 14 Nov 2022 17:38 by Vandoni.

More
14 Nov 2022 17:44 #245945 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic Any advice on the oil?

the water temps have never given me any issues even in the summer (we get to 37C here in italy), but i'm worried that the oil might thin out too much, and that running an oil that's too thick might not let it get thin enough to lubricate well if i don't drive hard

The first number in the specification of the oil is the weight of the oil when cold, the second is the weight when hot, both the 10w30 & 10w40 oils will be the same weight cold, but the 10w40 will be thicker when hot.

More
14 Nov 2022 17:46 #245946 by jackonlyjack
Attachments:

More
14 Nov 2022 17:47 #245947 by Vandoni
yes, i wanted to keep a 10w to make sure it starts and lubes well when cold, but have it stay a lot thicker when really hot with a 40 or thicker

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds