BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Nearside brake light fault

More
08 Nov 2022 14:48 #245807 by Tatchell95
Hi, 
I'm looking for some help if possible. I'm having some issues with my 2006 Jimny, my brake light isn't working on the nearside. I bought some bulbs as I'd noticed it was out when my partner drove the car home in front of me I've swapped the bulb and still no joy. Then discovered the fuse had blown and I had no idea so it had wiped out all of my brake lights at some point!! Fuse replaced and still no light working on the nearside. I had the bumper off and checked all the wiring in there and all seems ok expect for some chopped off wires where it evidently used to have a tow bar wired up but I've sorted those. I've taken one of the back seats out and side panel off to get at the wiring and found the wire pictured just hanging loose in the rear panel. Does anyone know where it goes to? It looks like an earth wire to me. I've tried to hold it near some bare metal on the body though and the brake light still isn't lighting up... I have my MOT a week today so need to get it sorted!!! Getting slightly stressed with it all now!! 
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Nov 2022 16:56 #245812 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Nearside brake light fault
Is it just the brake light that isn't working or is it brake, reverse, turn signal?

The reason for asking is that the earth return is common for all three, so if none of these are working it might be the common as all three share the same earth return.

If it is just the brake light, more likely it is the positive for the brake and it has come off the light or connector. That would explain why the fuse blew, if it shorted to chassis.

If possible do you have a multimeter can you check voltage on the cable to earth when the brake is pushed?

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
08 Nov 2022 20:05 #245818 by Tatchell95
Just the brake. Everything else is fine it's just that brake light on the nearside. I've checked all of the wiring and I can't see any breaks in it at all and all the other lights are working fine. The main light seems to flicker when the brake pedal is pressed as the other side illuminates which I find a little bit strange.

I think I might have to get it to my mechanic and have him take a look as I don't have a multimeter. (I think I might have to add one to my Christmas list!)

Time to create page: 0.085 seconds