BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Bonnet weight.

• redoregan
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Oct 2022 00:50 #245657 by redoregan
Bonnet weight. was created by redoregan
Hello, lads.

I'm trying to buy a bonnet and grille from Japan, but I need to know the weight of the bonnet at least and preferably both to figure out how much the postage will cost. These details aren't available on yahoo Japan where I'm buying from, and communication with the seller is basically impossible. I was wondering if anyone knew the weight of a JB33 bonnet, or even (ideally) a JB23 bonnet and grille? Perhaps others have done this before or might have the parts themselves. I'll weigh my own one if needs be but I thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks a lot. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
31 Oct 2022 05:26 #245661 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Bonnet weight.
Absolutely no idea but I can't see it being more than 50kg. I'd be interested to know though.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: redoregan

• redoregan
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Oct 2022 11:26 #245668 by redoregan
Replied by redoregan on topic Bonnet weight.
Yeah, I'm sure you're right. I know it is a bit on the heavy side, but most small car bonnets come in under 25 so I'm hoping it's not much more than that. I'll get mine off and weigh it if I can't get the info any other way, anyway. I'll be sure to let you know my findings if I do.

More
31 Oct 2022 14:07 #245669 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Bonnet weight.
I found an ad for a Carbon Fibre bonnet and it suggested the original was 12Kg.

I didn't take my bonnet off the car, but released it and put a spring balance at the front, it read 6.5Kg. I would say it was reasonable that half the weight would be held on the hinge and half on the spring balance so 12Kg might be about right.

Do you have to allow for packaging as well?

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

• redoregan
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Oct 2022 14:17 - 31 Oct 2022 14:20 #245670 by redoregan
Ah, thanks so much mate. I'd say our 33 bonnets are a small bit heavier than the 23 one, too. The middle man will help with any packaging weights, I was just missing this info. They offer consolidation, too. I'll need to estimate measurements, too, but that should be easy enough.

For anyone who wants to know, I'm looking at using Janbox as the go-between. I use a vpn to view Yahoo Japan, which is the ebay equivalent there. Also, if anyone has a better suggestion for handling this stuff, I'm all ears. I am investigating getting stuff imported by sea, too, as I'm not in a rush but I think it might be even more of a headache.

I have seen JB23 carbon bonnets on there but they are very expensive, but they might bring down cost of shipping, too. Worth a look. Certainly be something different and it'd maybe help balance out the weight of winch bumpers and so-on.
Last edit: 31 Oct 2022 14:20 by redoregan. Reason: Just adding some info.

More
31 Oct 2022 19:03 #245678 by jackonlyjack

• redoregan
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Oct 2022 20:35 #245680 by redoregan
Ah, that's sound of you, man. Don't go to any special effort, like, but if it's handy to do that would be great. Cheers.

More
01 Nov 2022 16:14 #245691 by jackonlyjack

• redoregan
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Nov 2022 20:52 #245698 by redoregan
Ah, legend. Thanks a million for taking the time, mate. Good to be sure. I'll see about it, so.

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds