BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Caliper stuck

More
30 Sep 2022 13:27 #245239 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Caliper stuck
A result, fantastic. I know there have been a few dark days and it has been a trial to do, but just think how easy the other side will be now.

The ABS bolts drill out really easily, I did both of mine on the car with a cordless drill. I replaced with a stainless bolt and of course some copper slip.

Good luck getting it all back together and enjoy the pint, you deserve it.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Oct 2022 09:55 #245253 by eddlane
Replied by eddlane on topic Caliper stuck
Thanks Robin. 

this was the end of play yesterday, one side done and this side nearly finished. 

my local mechanic blobbed a bit of weld on the bolt and mole gripped it off. Just waiting for new ones to come today. Stainless. Bit concerned about the state of the rubber bushes in both front caliper sliders but think I’ll get the garage to sort that. 

Looking after the kids all weekend whilst my wife goes to watch her brother in the London marathon so no more car until early Monday. 

thanks again. Hopefully no disasters. 

Bob - 2005 Jimny - standard, for now.....
Attachments:

More
01 Oct 2022 13:18 #245259 by DrRobin
Looking good. I don’t know about the slider rubbers, but that should be fairly straight forward and could be done as a second job after you finish this marathon (excuse the pun).

Have a good weekend off.

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

More
03 Oct 2022 05:37 #245277 by eddlane
Question.

Both videos I’ve watched (on wiki and another on YouTube) pop the kingpins in, hub back over and swivel seal on.

The wiki wording says fill knuckle with 100m of grease.

I have not done this, as it wasn’t shown in either video and I must have missed it.

So before I slide the hub over and back on, is that grease around the CV in the joint itself?

Or is this not needed as I have grease on the kingpins, in the bearings and within the cv itself?

Bit confused as not in the video and is on the wording. If it needs it I’ll have to take the other side apart again…..

More
03 Oct 2022 06:00 #245278 by eddlane
Scratch that.

Found an old thread on here full of advice/opinions.

Seems like there is differing advice on the subject hence the video being different to the wording

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
03 Oct 2022 06:06 #245279 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Caliper stuck
It's in the CV joint itself. The hub and chalice are ostensibly dry with the obvious exception of any cast off. Some people argue that the entire thing is packed with grease to keep the water out but this is entirely unnecessary if the outer hub seal and it's mating face are in good condition. If they are not then the over packed grease will escape anyway and so it serves no purpose. Just grease the kingpin bearings and the CV itself and you are good to go.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
03 Oct 2022 09:06 #245281 by eddlane
Thank you Lambert!

That’s what I did in the end.

Job complete, test drive done.

I’ll be doing a new post/topic with things I have learned as a novice that other novices may find helpful.

Thanks again to all who helped, a great community.

More
03 Oct 2022 09:47 #245282 by DrRobin
The amount of grease to put in has been debated a number of times. I worked grease in to the CV and around the kingpin bearings then smeared a bit round everything inside the knuckle. I made an estimate of how much I had put in then just added the rest round the CV.

As soon as you drive it will re-distribute it around and as Lambert says if you put too much in it will soon loose it past the seal.

Good work on getting back together this morning, a bit of an early start by the look of it.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

More
03 Oct 2022 10:18 #245285 by eddlane
Thanks Robin.

Yeh I need it for work this week and this has taken longer than planned

A quick trip to my local mechanic with a 4 pack of Ale as a thanks for the odd tool loan and removing my sheared ABS bolt.

Again, thanks for all of your help specifically Robin. I’d buy you beer if you were close!

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds