BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Caliper stuck

More
29 Sep 2022 19:00 #245212 by eddlane
Replied by eddlane on topic Caliper stuck
Gang I’ve totally messed up. 

I got my instructions in the wrong order and took the king pins out before undoing the tie rod things and now the driveshaft is half out and the tie rod things won’t stay still for me to undo them. 

I’m on passenger side, I’ve taken the nut off the front one but my splitter hammer in wedge thing won’t release it and the back one the nut is just spinning around and around and not undoing. 

agghhhhhhhhj why why why whyyyy do I try!! Should have just left it to a garage!!!!

any help appreciated I give up for tonight. 

Bob - 2005 Jimny - standard, for now.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Sep 2022 19:22 #245213 by eddlane
Advice on how I can get the damn thing back in and put it back together and give it to the garage may also be welcomed.

More
29 Sep 2022 19:31 #245214 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Caliper stuck
If you put a jack under the tie rod ends it will stop the joint from spinning. It might also hold it in place for your splitter to work.

Alternatively change the angle of the splitter, e.g. from the front or rear so the hub is less likely to move.

Can you get the kingpins back in? The drive shaft just slides in but the splines and possibly angle may require jiggling to get it to go back.

Hope that helps.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
29 Sep 2022 20:51 #245215 by eddlane

it looks like this, I can’t seem to jiggle it back in. 

stumped

ill try the jack suggestion tomorrow

thanks!

Attachments:

More
29 Sep 2022 21:31 #245216 by DrRobin
I am not sure the jack will work, it needs the hub to be fixed to put pressure on the base of the joint. I don’t know if you have a pulley puller, that might work.

Is the shaft (& CV) stuck in the hub? If not will it push back with the hub out like shown in your photo?

One rod goes in to the steering rack, the other to the other hub, you could take it off the other side to see if that gives you enough space to get the shaft out. Then put the hub back on the kingpins and split the joints.

If not, I think the only solution is to get the drive shaft back in, it probably drops slightly, perhaps a wire loop might help to jiggle it back in?

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
30 Sep 2022 03:24 #245217 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Caliper stuck

it looks like this, I can’t seem to jiggle it back in. 

stumped

ill try the jack suggestion tomorrow

thanks!

Whereabouts in the country are you someone might be able to lend a hand?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
30 Sep 2022 04:08 #245218 by eddlane
Thanks again 

I’ve got real life paid work this morning but will be back having a go with your suggestions later. 

im in Devon, not far from Exeter. 

thanks!

More
30 Sep 2022 04:12 #245219 by eddlane
So thinking about it again, my issue is when I try and push the hub and driveshaft back in the rods are preventing me from pushing but this may be because the other wheel is on?

if I get the other side in the air on an axle stand and remove the wheel might this give me enough wiggle to push shaft/hub back in to temporality bolt kingpins back in and do this properly?

More
30 Sep 2022 05:22 #245220 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Caliper stuck
Hi
Gravity is a b#¤ sometimes. if I understand the problem correctly I suspect the half shaft has come out of the diff.. there is nothing to be done other than wiggling.the other wheel will not interefere with anything on the other side.

it is just like DrRobin says.

the inner end of the half shaft will drop down into the axle tube and you will have to lift the inner end of it to poke it into the splines in the diff. take care not to damage the shaft seal.
I just did this and had the same problems with the rods that did not come off. Taking the half shaft out of the hub did the trick for me. Then you can wiggle the half shaft into the diff first and the hub over the kingpin bearings after.
To do this in one go I think you would have to be a magician :)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
30 Sep 2022 05:27 #245221 by eddlane
Ah I see hang on let me see if I’ve got this.

Push the half shaft out of hub, try to wiggle half shaft back into diff, then hub over half shaft, king pins back in then carry on?

I’ve got the nut off the front rod (steering arm?!) if I used one of those wind up ball joint splitters rather than my hammer wedge guy, would I have more of a chance of it coming off?

Then I could swing hub out of way on back tie rod? Remove half shaft, put hub back on with kingpins whilst I jack under tie rod bolt to stop it spinning so I can undo that?

I can grab a wind up ball joint splitter guy this morning if you think that may help.

More
30 Sep 2022 08:03 #245228 by DrRobin
A wind up ball joint splitter should work fine.

One rod connects to the steering box the other to the drivers side wheel, so if you jack up the other side, take the wheel off and rod from the drivers side, you can then turn the steering to get as much clearance as possible.

It does sound like the shaft is stuck in the hub, it it is retained in the bearing with a washer and circlip, once these are off it should push out easily..

Yakuza is right, trying to get the shaft back in with it stuck in the hub will be next to impossible.

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

More
30 Sep 2022 13:01 #245237 by eddlane
Shout out to you Drrobin and Yakuza you legends.

Wiggled the half shaft back in and manhandled the hub back over it, quickly smushed the kingpins back in.

Then tried my new ball winder tool, could not get it to fit over the steering arm one, trusty old wedge and elbow grease got it out. Jacked under the tie rod rod one with a block of wood and used my new breaker bar, undone like a dream and a tap of the old wedge got that one undone. Hub off to come home to the proper garage to drill or sheared ABS bolt and driveshaft out. Now to cleanup and fit new bearings before going to the pub to relax.

My back is demolished from this week, no idea how mechanics manage!

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds