BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Caliper stuck

More
28 Sep 2022 10:24 #245167 by eddlane
Caliper stuck was created by eddlane
Hi all
Kingpin change underway

caliper bolts (back ones) stuck solid and slightly rounded even before I started hammering away 

Unless any tips I’ve tried everything I think it’s angle grinder time. Fallen at the first hurdle!

Bob - 2005 Jimny - standard, for now.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Sep 2022 12:28 #245173 by eddlane
Replied by eddlane on topic Caliper stuck
 honesty time. 

is this salvageable if I can drill the carrier bolts out?

I had to beat the living biscuits out of it to get it off. 

I have a vague recollection of a garage wanting to put a new caliper on once and this may well be the culprit. 

so, saveable or no?

Attachments:

More
28 Sep 2022 17:27 - 28 Sep 2022 17:41 #245182 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Caliper stuck
Yes it's salvageable, what's difficult to determine is how much time and effort it will take.
THe good news is you have plenty of bolt to get hold of.

Things to try:

1)Heat it up carefully, if you can boil it in oil and leave it cool in it before you get grips on the bolts. 
2) Weld a nut on the top of the bolt stud, the heat may shock it. It also gives you something to turn.
3) Drill a  pilot hole down the centre of the bolt, this allows a little shrinkage and may release it.
​​​
​​​​​​
If it starts to move turn it "in / out" as you go, don't just attempt to wind it straight out. Penetrating oil or any thin oil helps at any stage.

Even after all this the threads could be damaged, you won't know until you get it out. Still options if they are (helicoil etc), but it could be cheaper to source a good used item at this point. If you can get a good one quickly for a few £ it not worth it, if you can't or they are ££££££ then saving it is your best option.
I would have a go, but that's just me. Good luck, Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 28 Sep 2022 17:41 by Scimike.

More
28 Sep 2022 17:56 #245183 by eddlane
Thank you!

Literally can’t be bothered haha, new one is £60 so just bought it.

Not sure if I can be bothered to do the kingpin the other side now this has been such a fuss!

See how I feel in the morning after some beer.

End of play today saw it all back together with new kingpin bearings and swivel seal (hopefully all done right!?) just waiting for caliper carrier tomorrow morning then it’s a late night tomorrow, hoping the other caliper is better to remove but I’ll be extra extra careful now I know how bad it can be

More
28 Sep 2022 17:58 #245184 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Caliper stuck
My standard solution is to heat it up with a blow lamp, get it good and hot then it might come out with a pair of grips. Or you could try a thread extractor.

If not, try drilling it out, use a small drill and work your way up, once you get over 3/4 of the diameter, it will probably just turn out. With a bit of luck the threads will be okay, otherwise a tap might be needed to clean them up.

New ones appear to be around £34, probably a pattern part, so you don’t have much to loose.

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
29 Sep 2022 10:03 #245197 by eddlane
 right. 
Got myself a new fella for the caliper. 

next question

when rebuilding, can I copper slip the carrier bolts and the pin bolts to avoid this happening again? I know there are some things one shouldn’t copper slip just wondering if these are they? The guide has their torque settings also. 

then it’s onto the other wheel and hoping things are less grim. I’m going to try heat and patience before any angle grinding….

Attachments:

More
29 Sep 2022 11:07 - 29 Sep 2022 11:20 #245199 by Mike G
Replied by Mike G on topic Caliper stuck
I would use a high temp thick grease on the runners.  

Perhaps this (first image), I've not tried this brand myself though.

With regards to the carrier bolts, I've never had trouble getting mine off. But not sure copper slip would last long in there, unless it was also high temp stuff (second image)

2" Trailmaster suspension lift, 2"body lift, snorkel, full breather kit, 29" steel wheels with BFG tyres, tinted rear windows, CRT CB radio with modulator antenna mounted on rear, dog cage and tray in the back.
Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Sep 2022 11:20 by Mike G.

More
29 Sep 2022 11:30 #245200 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Caliper stuck
Do NOT use mineral oil based lubricant on the carrier sliders

It causes the rubber boots to expand and jam the sliders.

Use a correct brake slider grease

Sent from my moto g42 using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
29 Sep 2022 13:26 #245201 by eddlane
Replied by eddlane on topic Re:Caliper stuck
Thank you.

All I’ve got is copper slip (unsure of temp rating) and the maxima waterproof grease chap.

More
29 Sep 2022 14:32 #245202 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Re:Caliper stuck
My caliper carrier bolts were very tight on one side, I had to use a 6 sided socket and a breaker bar to get it moving. If it was me I would put a thin layer of copper slip on the carrier bolts, the ones that were stuck and secure the caliper carrier to the hub. Copper grease is over 1,000C.

If you have a torque wrench put the new bolts back in to the correct torque and they should come out again.

I also put a thin layer of copper slip on the back of the pads, someone told me years ago that it stops the pads from rattling and I have done it ever since, as well it will stop the pad from rusting to the piston.

I am not sure what to use on the caliper slider bolts, mine weren't stuck, so just put them back in as they were.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
29 Sep 2022 15:00 #245203 by eddlane
Replied by eddlane on topic Re:Caliper stuck
Thanks guys.

I got some red grease for the caliper sliders.

Off to the garage now.

More
29 Sep 2022 17:57 #245208 by eddlane
Took me an hour but I got the other off with heat and smushing on a 16mm socket. 

then I was heavy handed with excitement and sheared the gosh darn ABS bolt. 

I’ll continue with the rest of the job but can someone advise how I fix it/what part I need when I get to that point?

gotta love cars and ambitious but under skilled mechanics. 

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds