BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Kingpin bearings/CV grease

More
26 Sep 2022 12:03 #245123 by eddlane
Hi all,

Just getting parts together to change the kingpin bearings tomorrow (Leaky mess).

Struggling to find a shop nearby that sells the grease recommended on the wiki.

Best I can find in the local motor parts place a choice between Comma High performance bearing grease and Comma CV Lith-Moly grease.

Any tips? I don't really want to wait for stuff to be delivered just want to knock it out tomorrow as I need him for work!

Bob - 2005 Jimny - standard, for now.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Sep 2022 12:17 #245125 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Kingpin bearings/CV grease
I bought my Kingpin bearings from the BigJimny shop (see banner), they also sell the Maxima grease, but was out of stock when I did mine.

I ordered Maxima from another retailer (Oiltek) it came pretty quickly but not sure you will get it tomorrow.

Amazon sell it so if you have Prime, you might be able to get it today or next day for reasonable price. The alternative is a Google search to see if anyone has it close to your location.

I haven't used the Comma so don't know if it suitable.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
26 Sep 2022 12:29 #245126 by eddlane
Replied by eddlane on topic Kingpin bearings/CV grease
Thank you!

Yes guess I'm just impatient and want to crack on tomorrow but I'm also wary of using subpar grease and having to do this all again in the not too distant future!

Thanks for the reply!

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
26 Sep 2022 13:47 #245130 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Kingpin bearings/CV grease
The main thing is that you try to get a waterproof or resistant grease for the kingpin bearings. Any CV grease will do for the CV but the kingpin bearings really appreciate the waterproof stuff.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
26 Sep 2022 13:52 #245131 by eddlane
Replied by eddlane on topic Kingpin bearings/CV grease
Thank you, yeh I'll just hang fire I really do want to do this properly. Just ordered the Maxima waterproof stuff online so I'll use that and get the rest of the bits ready whilst I wait!

Thanks again

More
26 Sep 2022 14:44 #245133 by Mike G
Replied by Mike G on topic Kingpin bearings/CV grease
I use 'aqua lube' on my kingpins. Grease designed for swimming pool pumps.  Works well on my kingpins bearings. Nice and sticky stuff.

2" Trailmaster suspension lift, 2"body lift, snorkel, full breather kit, 29" steel wheels with BFG tyres, tinted rear windows, CRT CB radio with modulator antenna mounted on rear, dog cage and tray in the back.

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds