BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Should i install an exhaust heatshield too???

More
22 Sep 2022 19:40 #245062 by Vandoni
I'm installing a bike muffler in place of my rear muffler (SN413 3rd gen Jimny), should i install a heatshield like the stock muffler had?
The bike muffler is a lot smaller and there would be a lot of free space for air to flow under the car and near the bumper so i shouldn't have the same problem with the plastic bumper overheating (i think). (right now i can smell a burning plastic smell when i rev over 3500 RPM, and i think it's the poor rear bumper that's overheating)
Do you guys think i should take the old heatshield from the stock muffler and try to adapt it just to be sure?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2022 20:22 - 22 Sep 2022 20:31 #245063 by Scimike
It will be fine without in my opinion. I have a "bike style" rear silencer and have had no issues and plenty of benefits.

ITs possible it's even slightly longer than a bike unit, nothings melting or getting too hot.The OEM silencer is way too big and heavy.

That said the stock muffler did not melt or heat up the rear plastic, but it's possible the exhaust system is fitted poorly. There is not much space for the stock system, even less with a tow bar, so it takes a bit of careful "jiggling" to get the clearance correct.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Sep 2022 20:31 by Scimike.

More
22 Sep 2022 20:36 #245065 by Vandoni
ya, right now i just have the rear muffler removed and the pipe that connected to its flange is spewing exhaust gases in the space where the muffler was, so the problem might go away with a muffler installed, anyway, thanks for the answer!

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds