BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

2009 Jimny ,starter motor runs with ignition off.

More
20 Sep 2022 20:00 #245023 by Jimmyfish
I’m having a real problem tracking down an electrical/ ignition fault in my manual 2009 Jimny.
It first happened when it was parked on the drive ,handbrake on and in gear. I heard a bang, looked out the front door to see the Jimny had crawled up the drive via the starter motor and was wedged against the wall. The starter was still turning, I ran out and opened the bonnet and disconnected the battery terminal.
The starter motor was burnt out and I assumed it was a fault with the solenoid so replaced the starter motor. The Jimny was fine for a week but then one night I was woken by the sound of the engine cranking. Again the ignition was off, I had to disconnect the battery to stop the starter turning.
I’m at a real loss as to where to start looking, is there a relay between  ignition and the starter motor.?. Could it be a fault with the ignition barrel. Any thoughts would be greatly received.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Sep 2022 21:38 #245024 by DrRobin
As far as I know there is no relay between the ignition switch and starter solenoid and as it is positive switched it is most likely to be the ignition switch that has gone faulty. You could check the colour of wire on the solenoid and ignition switch to check it matches.

Search Jimny wiring diagram and you should find one for your year.

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.079 seconds