BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Clonking noise from underneath on very bumpy ground.

More
31 Jul 2022 08:46 #244312 by Abudougal
Jeez I was trying to make that title sound a bit more technical and precise but that's what came out and it's at least accurate.

I changed the oil (05 plate 85K miles) and it was clean as a whistle, very surprised to see no crap on the drain bolt and to celebrate I went for a spin off road, did a few miles up over the hills to check out a loch I've been meaning to visit and no probs at all. Then on the way home I took a very rough track shortcut which caused quite a bit of body roll. On the bits that caused the most sway I was getting a pronounced clonk which I think corresponded with the sway of the cab and only on the very worst bits.

My first throught is a missing bump stop but can anyone think of anything else to look for while I'm under there?

PS: Forgot to take a photo, must do that next time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2022 12:17 #244324 by LesNewell
You might want to check your anti roll bar bushes and links. If you're really unlucky you could have a rotted out body mount like I have.

More
31 Jul 2022 12:23 #244325 by Soeley
Have you got a tow bar fitted? Some people have reported the exhaust banging on it.

More
31 Jul 2022 12:57 - 31 Jul 2022 15:02 #244327 by Scimike
The clonking I've had and the causes, drove me mad finding them:

Rear exhaust silencer hitting tow bar (if fitted) as Soeley said.
Rear spring lower location cone, I suspect rust was stopping the spring sliding over this producing a knock with a bit of bong thrown in. Lifted car to unload spring, wiggled the dirt free and applied spray grease - problem gone.
Worth a check.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 31 Jul 2022 15:02 by Scimike.

More
31 Jul 2022 18:15 #244338 by Abudougal
Cheers guys, no towbar but I'll have a good look at all those other things.

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds