BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Wheezing Sound on Gen 4 Jimny JB74

More
19 Jul 2022 06:20 #244139 by Tt
Hi All, 
I'm searching worldwide Jimny community for input! My car has this wheeeeeezing sound of "eeeeeeeeee...." each time i accelerate, almost like sound make by an airplane taking off. Not sure if any Gen 4 owners experience the same? 

What causes the sharp sound and anywhere to start looking for rectification? 

Help needed! and much appreciated! 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
19 Jul 2022 06:50 #244140 by Lambert
Welcome to the forum. Without a recording of the noise it's not easy to say what it is especially as the transfer case is not perfectly quiet at the best of times but equally there are known issues which requires a new transfer case chain. Can you link up something to YouTube or similar that we can listen to?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
20 Jul 2022 01:03 #244160 by Tt
Hi Lambert,

Pls see YouTube link attached..appreciate your expert opinion

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Jul 2022 05:21 #244163 by Lambert
Ok so that sounds like transfer case whine to me. It's part of the function of the Jimny having 2 gearboxes there's always going to be more noise. However the fact it's that pronounced in your one is above average. Is the car still under warranty,if so I recommend letting a service department listen to it in person. Certainly my 2018 gen3 is not that loud.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
20 Jul 2022 16:51 - 21 Jul 2022 08:15 #244175 by Scimike
+1
As Lambert said, that's the sound they make, however it does seem very pronounced on yours. In my own car you can hardly hear it in 5th gear above 30mph, wind and road noise are prominent at this point, and they aren't that loud.
So yes, get Suzuki to have a listen.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 21 Jul 2022 08:15 by Scimike.

More
21 Jul 2022 12:21 #244179 by fordem
I suggest you slide under and check the fluid level in the transfer case - my JB74 was delivered with the lube low and had a gear whine from day one, the fluid has since been replaced, but there is still a pronounced whine between 40~60 km/h (road speed dependent, rather than gear or engine rpm).

I've requested the case be replaced under warranty, and I'm still pushing to have that happen.

More
22 Jul 2022 13:49 #244194 by Tt
Thank you for all your input, I’ll definitely have the workshop check it out in person.

More
23 Jul 2022 22:44 #244200 by lightning
It's louder than ours, but we do get this whine to an extent.

Try replacing the gearbox/transfer box oil. And check the levels as already suggested.

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds