BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Overheating

More
06 Jul 2022 17:06 #243963 by tomlil01
Overheating was created by tomlil01
Hi, all,

Hoping someone might be able to advise me on a problem.
A few times when I was off-roading I noticed that my water temp guage had gone into the red. When this happened, I stopped the car immediately and left it for for 10/15 minutes and the temp went back to normal and then stayed normal. This only happened about 3 times over the course of several months. Generally the temp guage would sat a little under half-way. I never had steam coming out of the radiator, and coolant seemed to remain on max.

Now, this week the car started overheating on the motorway, and I stopped the car and found that the coolant bottle was empty and I could see some coolant was leaking (visible at the bottom of the radiator). 

I am obviously going to replace the radiator, but I am wondering whether I have an additional problem? Obviously, the car will overheat with the leaking radiator, but I don't know why I was getting these "sporadic" occastions when it was overheating before, and then seeming ok for weeks or months? Would this just be radiator getting blocked up as it deteriorated, or might there be a problem with some valve or sensor that controls the water flow or something? (sorry, I am not very mechanical, so don't know how the cooling system works).

Any advice very much appreciated.
Cheers,
Lee

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
06 Jul 2022 19:21 #243966 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Overheating
Contrary to what some people may want you to believe if an m13a Jimny engine over heats as your one has it will need a new head gasket. Yes by all means replace the radiator especially if it's leaking and even the rest of the cooling system but ultimately none of that will permanently solve the issue. I speak from experience of having attempted to nurse a Jimny with your symptoms of periodically over heating and it was expensive just replacing various parts that didn't fix the problem and then having to do the gasket anyway.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
06 Jul 2022 19:33 #243969 by tomlil01
Replied by tomlil01 on topic Overheating
Thanks for the info, Lambert. Would there not be other symptoms if it was the head gasket, like white smoke from the exhaust or something?

More
06 Jul 2022 19:38 #243970 by Motleycrew
Replied by Motleycrew on topic Overheating
I would follow Lamberts advice. The coolant is probably being forced out of the hose joins of the cooling system ,as it is getting pressurized from the gasket being failed. This also air locks the system so water will not be circulating. One way to determine is wait for the engine to cool fully and then open the radiator cap. If it hisses you know that air is being forced in on the compression stroke on the engine. I had the same issue for ages and it just gets worse. 

More
06 Jul 2022 19:43 #243971 by Motleycrew
you get a push and pull action on the oil and water. Intake stroke (sucking) will draw oil and water into the combustion stroke producing blue/white smoke. combustion stroke (push) will force exhaust gas into the oil and cooling system.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
06 Jul 2022 19:45 #243972 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Overheating
It's often the case as stated above that the failure is across the cylinder to water jacket and over pressurises the coolant more than contamination of the oil.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
06 Jul 2022 19:58 #243973 by tomlil01
Thanks for the info. I will try this test with radiator cap tomorrow.
So, if there is no hiss then there is no reason to think a head gasket problem?

More
06 Jul 2022 20:36 #243974 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Overheating
It's all been said, it's possible it's a head gasket  leak to a cylinder.
You could also take the plugs out, they should all look the same colour etc. An overly different one (usually cleaner) is the cylinder into which the coolant may be heading. Another indicator is momentarily running on 3 cylinders for a few seconds first start of the day, but usually ok after this for the rest.
Just some things that may help.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
09 Jul 2022 10:42 #244017 by tomlil01
I did the test of getting the car up to temp and then letting it cool a bit and opening the radiator cap. There was no hissing sound, so I assume that indicates there is no issue with the head gasket (necessarily)?

More
09 Jul 2022 10:43 #244019 by tomlil01
Also, no smoke from the exhaust. Oil looks normal on the dipstick. No evidence of oil in the coolant

More
09 Jul 2022 18:53 #244023 by Motleycrew
sounds promising, perhaps it was a coolant leak. If you find it overheating and you cant stop, put the cabin heater on full and blower on full. You can dump a huge amount of heat that way and the temperature should reduce quickly.

More
09 Jul 2022 19:31 - 09 Jul 2022 19:45 #244024 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Overheating
The only real way to check is to pressure test the cooling system. It's not a complex process, in simply terms replace the radiator cap with a bung and use a pump to pressurise the system to a few PSI, wait a few hours and check the pressure is the same. If it's not you have a leak and need to find it.
You can make something (see YouTube) or purchase a tester for about £50, or get a garage to a test for you. 

You say you have a leak from the bottom of the radiator, it's possible it's the radiator or top hose, both will drip randomly from the radiator bottom, so check the source of the leak or just replace both.

Even after this a pressure test is the only conclusive way of checking for leaks and that no other issues are present across the complete system.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 09 Jul 2022 19:45 by Scimike.

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds