BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Exhaust spring bolt nut thread size/spec?

More
09 Jun 2022 10:55 #243637 by Waffs1984
Hi all,

Been a while since I posted but I'm currently doing a few jobs on my mums jimny before MOT later this month. One of the jobs is fitting an entire replacement exhaust thanks to the last owner bodging breaks/leaks multiple times and helpfully cutting all the flanges off to weld directly together (no wonder it snapped in half just after the middle silencer!)

All easy to do as I'm fitting everything new but I got sent 4 spring bolts but only 2 nuts, I've tried threading a standard nut on but it seems like ots going to cross thread - anyone know if it's a special pitch on the bolt by any chance so I can order a couple of nuts please?

TIA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
09 Jun 2022 11:54 #243638 by Lambert
It's been a while since I had one apart but aren't the nuts welded into the adjoining section?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
09 Jun 2022 12:27 - 09 Jun 2022 12:29 #243639 by Waffs1984
Its the first one I've ever done but apparently not. The manifold just has the holes. I ordered all 3 sections off eBay and they all fit together perfectly (impressive for £200 all in delivered and that's with a type approved cat!).

From the downpipe holes it fits onto a flange with the supplied spring bolts and donut sintered gasket, post cat to centre is exactly the same and centre to backbox is slightly different with a metal o ring type gasket.

Its a 2003 jimny so not sure if they changed in on more recent models but for a very rusty old thing underneath the exhaust was a doddle to replace.

I have also sent the seller a message asking for an additional 2 nuts, but I'm trying to get it back together for this weekend so if I can buy some nuts for a couple of quid before hand I'm happy to do so.
Last edit: 09 Jun 2022 12:29 by Waffs1984.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
09 Jun 2022 14:50 #243642 by Lambert
Ah yes the cheap eBay special, they could be any thread that just happened to be about the same size. Do you have an industrial engineering supply near you who could check them?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
09 Jun 2022 14:54 #243643 by Waffs1984
Possibly yes but that gives me a thought - I may have a thread checker tool (like a feeler gauge but not) as part of an old tap and die set I've not opened in years.

More
09 Jun 2022 21:25 #243651 by Waffs1984
So I dug out my tap and die kit and used the thread pitch measurement tool, turns out they're m10 x 1.25 as opposed to standard 1.5. Got a couple of nuts on order now, should have it sorted for the weekend :-)

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds