BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

M16a headgasket

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
07 Jun 2022 05:14 - 07 Jun 2022 05:15 #243608 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic M16a headgasket
If you are not doing many long runs then the leaking gasket won't have much time to displace coolant into the expansion bottle, this is why I nursed my Jimny for nearly 3 years replacing various bits of the system along the way all the time believing that the m series engine doesn't have head gasket issues. However if you do go for a long run with it in this condition enough for everything to get properly warmed up then it will displace enough coolant to start getting hot. It's also worth noting that the temperature gauge is not linear, instead they show a steady central position between about 75 degrees and about 108 ish degrees they then climb very rapidly into the red by about 115 to 120 degrees they are best considered as nothing more than a light like a VW. As such it's entirety possible that the hot smell you are reporting is because it is quite a lot over normal operating temperature it's just a not reporting it on the dashboard. Ultimately with the m series engine once they start doing odd things with the cooling system the root cause is the head gasket especially if they get hot hot.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
Last edit: 07 Jun 2022 05:15 by Lambert.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jun 2022 06:52 #243609 by benmoto501
Replied by benmoto501 on topic M16a headgasket
I don't know how I can rule out the rad cap more other than fitting a brand new genuine cap, which I literally did last week! It didn't change what's happening at all. I guess I could keep putting new genuine caps on week after week hoping it'll change what's happening but in reality I think I'll just accept its not the rad cap!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• Lambert
    Registered
More
07 Jun 2022 08:11 - 07 Jun 2022 08:12 #243610 by Lambert
What you are experiencing is head gasket failure, it's quite early stages but it's head gasket related. When I had your symptoms I replaced everything with genuine, water pump, radiator x2, cap, thermostat, expansion bottle pipe, viscous coupling and fluid, the whole lot. It was only rectified by a new head gasket.

Last edit: 07 Jun 2022 08:12 by Lambert.

More
07 Jun 2022 09:20 #243613 by benmoto501
Replied by benmoto501 on topic M16a headgasket
Yea that's kind of the conclusion I had come to... Nice to hear you had the same symptoms which rules out missing something obvious!
I guess the next question is, without paying dealer prices, where is best for a good quality gasket and bolt set?

Ben

• Lambert
    Registered
More
07 Jun 2022 09:23 #243614 by Lambert
Martin in the shop in the top banner, genuine parts at sensible prices.

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds