BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

4WD working but light flashing

More
30 May 2022 17:54 #243520 by spookyandroid
So, I wanted to restore the 4WD functionality back from manual hubs to vacuum lockers.

Replaced the solenoid/switch
All pipeworkHubs1 kingpin bearings/seal, other side was done 12 month ago.

I jacked the car and tested both sides, the wheels are locking when 4WD engaged, however the 4WD light continually flashes as though I have a vacuum leak. 

What could it be, to my understanding there isn't anything left, with perhaps the exception of the pipe to the cylinder under the wing?

Tia
Danny

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
30 May 2022 18:53 #243522 by Lambert
Have you checked the condition of the wiring at the transfer case end and also the 4x4 control module?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
30 May 2022 19:01 #243523 by Busta
There are 2 seals in the hub that the vacuum system relies on. One is where the CV joint goes through the back of the hub spindle; this one affects the hub un-locking. The other is behind the wheel bearing and affects the hub locking. They can develop a slight leak that is enough stop the vacuum switch registering, but not enough to stop the hubs working.

More
30 May 2022 19:19 #243525 by spookyandroid
All wiring looks good, control box all good too.

More
30 May 2022 19:21 #243526 by spookyandroid
Interesting to know. I'm not overly technical but I can do things if I'm replicating a video or someone. I changed the kingpin bearings and both seals ( one at the back and the one inside) I take it these are the two you're referring to or is there another somewhere else?

More
30 May 2022 20:45 #243528 by Busta
The seals you replaced when doing the kingpins are not part of the vacuum system. The seals I'm talking about are in the hub. You need to remove the wheel bearing to acces one, and the whole hub to access the other.

More
30 May 2022 20:48 #243529 by Busta
You can check them by sucking on a hose attached to the ports on the hub. You should feel resistance. If air flows freely then there is a leak. Infact the same test can be done on any part of the system.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

More
31 May 2022 05:35 #243534 by spookyandroid
Thanks Busta. Will do more research on this. Do you know of any guide/video on replacing these seals?

More
31 May 2022 06:44 #243535 by Busta
A wheel bearing change video will show how to get to the seal behind. To do the CV one you can either remove the king pins like you did befor and get to it that way or go this route which is much quicker if everything comes undone: 
The following user(s) said Thank You: spookyandroid

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds