BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

New engine noises!

More
29 Mar 2022 10:04 #242544 by me101
Replied by me101 on topic New engine noises!
Thanks, I'm in Doncaster. Back at work now, so will be leaving it for a few days now unfortunately. Cheers

2007 Little Jim with cheap mods!
www.youtube.com/channel/UCeBDekO99Qk2aOmBmSmrI9w

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Mar 2022 17:53 #242592 by me101
Quick question, the more I sit at work thinking about it, I am going for input shaft bearing as all noises go away with clutch pressed. The bearing looks cheap enough, but regarding man hours, is it going to be cheaper to replace the gearbox?

More
30 Mar 2022 19:32 #242597 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic New engine noises!
Replace the box with what? A new one will be an arm and a leg and reconditioned will be £500 plus and a s/hand one could well be as bad. Best bet is to replace the bearing. On my Gen.2 SJ413 I did 150,000 miles and changed that bearing a number of times. I did a lot of green-laning and RTV competitions so the box was used hard.

Roger

More
31 Mar 2022 10:09 #242619 by me101
Is it not a box apart job? Gearbox is one of them things I just don't want to get too deep into!

More
31 Mar 2022 10:38 #242621 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic New engine noises!
Yes it is but its not a major issue. OK I'm speaking from the position of a trained technician which I realise makes a big difference and the probability is that if you have any doubts then talking to a few independent technicians is the way to go. It would keep the cost down if you removed the box yourself and as it is a separate item from the transfer box it is not that heavy. Certainly an average guy, working on his own, can remove the box. If you want to go this route, then there are plenty of guys on this forum who can help you.

Roger

More
31 Mar 2022 12:52 #242629 by me101
Thanks, I'll take it out and then decide if I'm brave enough to tackle myself. Will it do much harm running as it is for a while?

More
31 Mar 2022 13:02 #242630 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic New engine noises!
My SJ gearbox made noises for years on and still worked fine.
My 05 Jimny gearbox made noises for a couple of km's before it locked up and bits of gearwheel got stuck inside it.
If you plan on fixing the gearbox and not replace, I would park the car.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
31 Mar 2022 13:10 #242631 by me101
Thanks. I will risk 1 more run out (got a trip planned for Saturday). If it survives, will then park it and pull the box.

More
31 Mar 2022 15:31 - 31 Mar 2022 15:33 #242634 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic New engine noises!
When (not if..) you break down you should look for a new gearbox from a car newer than 2009. The roller bearings in the box after 2009 has closed sides and will last longer. The 5 speed between 2005 and 2009 has more load from the gear ratios and the bearings are open sided. Not sure why this is bad for them but mostly only these years experience the problems..

My 2005 gearbox started to whine and I thought I could take one last careful road trip just 10 km but total break down after 5 km.
Yours might work longer of course.

not saying this to be funny or nothing, but it is based on my experience with this one box compared to other suzuki gearboxes both in a swift and several SJ's. Next time I hear the whine from my jimny I will park the car and move it on a trailer if needed.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 31 Mar 2022 15:33 by yakuza.

More
31 Mar 2022 16:02 #242638 by me101
Point noted. Although mine is a 2007, I have just had the older box and manual transfer box fitted. These were supposed to be the stronger box!

More
01 Apr 2022 21:12 #242673 by me101
Me again. Had an hour in the garage after work, and have found the noise to be from the clutch fork. Taking off the plastic inspection cover, you can see the fork vibrating, and when I put pressure on it with my finger the noise stops. So, my new question is, how do I stop it rattling??

More
01 Apr 2022 22:11 - 01 Apr 2022 22:20 #242675 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic New engine noises!
The most likely cause is the clutch release arm (4) is not fitted correctly to the bell housing pivot pin (5) or the release arm clip (20) is broken or missing. This allows the release bearing (9) to rest on the gearbox shaft and vibrate the arm. It's also possible the actual release bearing is not fitted correctly, it's also held by a clip (7). If you can see any of this through the arm gap in the bell housing you can eliminate each as a cause. If you can't it's time to split the box from the engine and take a look. You will be doing this anyway if the fault turns out to be a duff gearbox, but I don't think it is at the moment.
Here a similar diagram (Suzuki but not Jimny) to help identify the bits I am talking about.
ITS cheaper to check these parts first.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Apr 2022 22:20 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yakuza

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds