BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Headlight auto level motor

More
05 Feb 2022 15:54 #241708 by JAGtheman
One of the few times I can give back...during pre-mot inspection I discovered the autoleveling on my pax headlight was faulty. Finding a replacement headlight faced a wait of 4-8 weeks from both Suzuki (their headlight is gold plated and delivered by butler to your door... I imagine given the price) and non genuine suppliers. So I scoured the internet and found a 2003 unit in a fairly grotty state but with  working motor for around £80. I bought it and when it arrived spent an evening removing 19 years of crud off it before testing and seeing it was OK. 

Fitted and vehcle slid through a thorough MoT with no advisories...... very chuffed.

Meanwhile I searched for a replacement motor and found one in Germany where I live half the time (www.autoteiledirekt.de    Metzger part no 0916669 "control, headlight range adjustment" ), being german you have 3 choices all around €27. I ordered one, deliver to Huntingdon UK, and a week later it arrived.

Removing the old motor is simple: Remove headlight (optional I guess)...Unscrew the white plastic  hex bolt shaft head on the upper face of the motor quite a few turns. Then turn the motor firmly but gently anticlockwise and it will click out of its seat. Continue unscrewing the white hex head (being old it probably is some grotty color of grey) until the metal bolt holding the motor to the lens comes free. Voila. 

Inserting the motor is simply the reverse operation. Thats as far as I have got. As the replacement light is working I have no opportunity to replace the headlight and finalise the light setting, but I guess it is a simple situation of rotating the hex headed bolt whilst watching the light on a wall....

So this problem could have been solved for €27...  

Hope this helps someone!

Julian
2008 Gen 3 Manual
Being completely revitalised
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scimike, Soeley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Feb 2022 17:47 #241710 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Headlight auto level motor
Thank you for taking the time to list this, very interesting.
I had wondered if they could be removed as aftermarket headlamps shown as "electrical adjustable" never had the motors shown in the pictures.
So does anyone know if ALL GEN3 Suzuki headlamps can be retrofitted with the motor even if the donor vehicle did not have electrical adjustment as standard?
My headlamp are lenses are cracked,so if any will do (motor or not) I can reuse my motors and simply fit on them on any replacement.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
05 Feb 2022 18:50 #241712 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Headlight auto level motor
Just a word of warning, I was painting my front bonnet and the colour match was awful, so decided to strip it off and used a small amount of cellulose thinners on a cloth, to get the last of the new paint off rather than rubbing through the base coat.

A bit spilt on to the headlamp lens and dulled the top surface, it softened the plastic lens and left a series of fine cracks that looked like a dried up river bed. Fortunately a bit of wet and dry, rubbing compound, T-Cut and Turtlewax polish restored the lens, something I have to do often on my 20 year old Boxster.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds