BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Dobinsons vs black raptor premium lift kit for gen4

• Chop
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Jan 2022 21:57 - 29 Jan 2022 21:58 #241566 by Chop
Hi Guys,

Ive been contemplating getting a 2" lift kit lately, and have been leaning towards the black raptor premium from jimnybits since I've heard very positive reviews about it from fellow jimny owners.
However, I've recently discovered that there is a dobinsons lift kit available for the gen4 as well. While it's a very reputable brand in general, I haven't been able to find any reviews on that specific kit online.
​​​​​
Has anyone had any experience with this kit or similar ones? Any information would be very helpful.

Here's the link to the kit
www.dobinsonsdirect.com/products/dobinso...oft-top~yr_2018-2022
Last edit: 29 Jan 2022 21:58 by Chop.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2022 03:25 #241567 by wicho001
Hello, Im on my second jimny and using dobinsons lift kit. On my first jimny I installed the trailmaster comfort lift kit, loved it. I went with dobinsons on my new jimny because I source them locally, the dobinsons kit fells much more harder than the trailmaster, maybe because I have the 100-200kg constant load option. I do have more weight now, steel bumper, bigger tires and a rooftop tent but let me told you something, these suspension feels amazing driving uphill and downhill at a "high speed" cornering with the rooftop tent was not an issue, I couldnt tell the extra weight. I am really happy with them. You can find me on IG @thesilverjimny.

By the way english is not my native language, hope you understand what I wrote there. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

More
30 Jan 2022 09:46 #241570 by LesNewell
I like the black raptor kit as it has adjustable shocks so you can tailor the damping to your preference. The shocks are made by Gaz and I've used Gaz shocks on a number of vehicles with good results.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chop

• Chop
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jan 2022 12:29 #241584 by Chop
Thanks for the input,
I'm usually very minimalistic with my gear when traveling. I know they have a lighter load version for the springs. Do you think it's still likely to be a harsh ride when riding light?

More
30 Jan 2022 22:39 #241610 by 300bhpton

Hi Guys,

Ive been contemplating getting a 2" lift kit lately, and have been leaning towards the black raptor premium from jimnybits since I've heard very positive reviews about it from fellow jimny owners.
I'm interested in the Black Raptor kit as well, but I've never been able to find any mention of anyone having it. Which puts me off. I'd like to know how it rides and flexes.

Never heard of Dobinsons, don't think they are available in the UK.

The other kit I'm leaning towards is the Old Man Emu kit. It has somethings I don't like about it, such as shorter shocks than some other kits to allow stock brake lines to be retained (i.e. it'll give more flex than stock, but less than some other kits as it doesn't off the same amount of suspension droop). But I believe the OME would offer better ride and handling dynamics than some of the other kits.

For me the Raptor kit looks like it would offer about the best flex if building a purpose built off roader. But I'm not convinced it'd be as good on the road or in the bends. I'm also less keen on 'adjustable' shocks. I'd rather someone else had done the shock tuning. I don't have the skills or equipment to set it up. But I do like most of the other design aspects of the Raptor kit.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
31 Jan 2022 07:09 #241617 by Lambert
As and when I do a refresh on Temeraire she will be getting avo adjustable dampers in plus 25mm along with some standard height springs the idea being marginal increase in droop and selectable damping depending on the job at hand, stiffness for towing softness for off roading something in the middle of solo road.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Chop
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Jan 2022 14:18 #241629 by Chop

I'm interested in the Black Raptor kit as well, but I've never been able to find any mention of anyone having it. Which puts me off. I'd like to know how it rides and flexes.

For what it's worth those kits are pretty popular where I live and so far I've heard nothing but good things about them. People say they're very comfortable to ride on, and those who have OME on theirs and got to try the BR suspension on somebody else's vehicle said they like the BR ones better.
I'm also not so sure about quality since it's not such a well-known brand as opposed to OME or Dobinsons (look them up, they're Australian, very known brand).

Regarding the adjustability, as far as I understand it's just a knob you can turn without having to lift/remove anything, and you can choose between 15 different dampening levels.

More
05 Feb 2022 17:44 #241709 by gv42
59 odd miles in, set the dampers half way round, then back on click , seem very good

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using Tapatalk

More
02 Nov 2023 22:54 #251926 by Wailin
Apologies for dragging up an old thread, but gv42, how is your experience with the black Raptor setup on your jimny? Would you recommend it?

I'm planning to change the shocks on my LCV and thinking these might be the best option since I can stiffen them up if loading up the vehicle, or have them comfortable for normal use.

More
03 Nov 2023 06:41 #251928 by gv42
Ok , Yes would recommend the black raptor as I have it on 2 for my jimnys and my Bro,, has it on his jimny too,

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds