BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Jimny gen4 AT tire recommendation

• Chop
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Jan 2022 12:43 - 24 Jan 2022 16:14 #241454 by Chop
Jimny gen4 AT tire recommendation was created by Chop
Hi guys,

I have an automatic Gen4 Jimny and have been driving it for about 7 months now. I've been looking to upgrade the stock tyres and am not sure on what would be the best option for me.
Due to regulatory reasons in my country I can only go for the stock size 195/80/15 which greatly limits my options, and no MTs either since the load code doesn't match.
Basically the options are:

1) Toyo open country at+
2) General grabber at3
3) Cooper discoverer at3 sport
4) Yokohama geolander at g105

The car is used only on weekends and mainly for offroading, road use is limited to going back and forth to the off-road route, or family visits every once in a while.
In terms of offroading, it's mostly rock climbing and rocky terrain in general, so good grip and a strong sidewall are top priority. Every once in a while it'd be a mud trip or a sand trip, so decent mud capability is a bonus (I understand it's going to be very limited due to my constraints).

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Last edit: 24 Jan 2022 16:14 by Chop.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2022 13:15 #241456 by DrRobin
All three look sensible choices, but I haven't had any of these although there are people on here who will have had them and can comment.

I use Yokohama Geolandar A/T GO15 which is available in your size, but might not be stocked where you are. I also use Hankook Dynapro ATm (also in your size) which is a little more aggressive AT tyre pattern and should have a bit more grip in mud and snow. Again not sure if they are stocked in your area?

Robin

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

• Chop
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Jan 2022 14:17 #241458 by Chop
Replied by Chop on topic Re:Jimny gen4 AT tire recommendation
I believe the Yokohamas might be available as my friend just bought a set for his GV.
They do look very similar to the stock tires though, albeit with a tougher sidewall.
Are they any good in the mud or rocky hills?

More
24 Jan 2022 15:00 #241459 by lightning
Have the stock tyres been unsatisfactory? l've only done light off reading in ours but they seem okay, l imagine they are road biased so not great for rock crawling.
Grip isn't great on greasy roads though, l nearly ended up in a field in Norfolk when l took a corner in the rain.

• Chop
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Jan 2022 15:12 #241460 by Chop
Replied by Chop on topic Re:Re:Jimny gen4 AT tire recommendation

lightning wrote: Have the stock tyres been unsatisfactory? l've only done light off reading in ours but they seem okay, l imagine they are road biased so not great for rock crawling.
Grip isn't great on greasy roads though, l nearly ended up in a field in Norfolk when l took a corner in the rain.

The stock tires are fine for the most part but they are getting worn, losing some tread chunks due to being torn off, and it feels like the smooth side wall is a tear waiting to happen. They've also been lacking some grip on powdery desert rocks and steep gravel ascends.
In mud I've found them to get plugged up really fast and becoming quite slippery afterwards.
That being said I'm definitely not in a hurry to replace them.

• Chop
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Jan 2022 16:12 #241462 by Chop
Just checked and the Yokohamas are available as well, will add them as an option

More
24 Jan 2022 17:10 #241464 by Roger Fairclough
I have just fitted a set of B.F.Goodrich AT tyres and I am very pleased with the on road performance. I haven't tried them in the dirt but past performance with their MT tyres and also their legendary performance would indicate that they will do all that you want.

Only downside is the cost, so you need to add that thought to your calculations.

Roger

More
24 Jan 2022 17:30 #241465 by DrRobin
I don't think you can get KO2s in 195/80/R15, this is the only size the poster can use due to local restrictions.

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

The following user(s) said Thank You: Chop

More
24 Jan 2022 21:26 #241469 by wjamieson
I have the Toya Open Country AT Plus, granted in 215/75 15. Vast majority of driving has been on the road. However have driven offroad and in snow and so far vey happy. One big plus is the weight of the Toyas as in very light. Certainly when comparing 215/75 15 the Toyas were one of the lighter tyres.

I also have General Grabber AT3 on a second car and have had them on a LR Discovery 4. Happy with them as well but would go for the Toyas over the General Grabbers. Cant comment on the other two.

• Chop
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Jan 2022 23:03 #241470 by Chop

wjamieson wrote: I have the Toya Open Country AT Plus, granted in 215/75 15. Vast majority of driving has been on the road. However have driven offroad and in snow and so far vey happy. One big plus is the weight of the Toyas as in very light. Certainly when comparing 215/75 15 the Toyas were one of the lighter tyres.

I also have General Grabber AT3 on a second car and have had them on a LR Discovery 4. Happy with them as well but would go for the Toyas over the General Grabbers. Cant comment on the other two.

Thanks, in which areas do the toyos outperform the grabbers in your experience?

More
25 Jan 2022 18:27 #241488 by wjamieson
Haven't had both tyres on the same car to fairly compare and have not had the General Grabbers off road to any extent. I prefer the look of the Toyas and they are lighter which to me is a positive. Part of the reason for buying GG was that they were available in the size I needed when Toyas were not. Happy with both.

More
25 Jan 2022 18:53 #241491 by wjamieson

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds