BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Lift Kit Question

More
13 Jan 2022 19:20 #241102 by tomlil01
Lift Kit Question was created by tomlil01
Hi,

I'm installing a 2 inch lift, and I've got some castor correction bushes (and adjustable panhard bar).

My question is, will it be ok to install the castor correction bushes before doing the lift? I'm planning to drop my car at a garage tomorrow to do the bushes and then do the lift kit myself at the weekend.

I wasn't sure if this would work?

ThanksLee

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
14 Jan 2022 04:19 #241111 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Lift Kit Question
On a 2 inch lift it's debatable that you need the castor bushes. Most people fit the lift first and see how the car drives. Castor correction is only really definitely needed on 3 inch plus.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: louchy

More
14 Jan 2022 12:50 #241119 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Lift Kit Question
Yes it will be fine to do that. You will probably find the steering a bit heavier but as it's only for a couple of days I wouldn't worry.
As far as whether or not they are needed, that seems to be a personal thing. In terms of the geometry change, less castor (caused by the suspension lift) is almost always a bad thing and leads to many other handling issues that make the car less pleasant to drive and potentially less safe. Maintaining the standard castor angle by fitting the bushes is always going to result in a nicer driving car.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tomlil01, louchy

More
15 Jan 2022 04:52 #241139 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Lift Kit Question
It depends on the lift kit. 2" lift kits are different from each manufacture. I have fitted a number of 2" kits at the lower end of 2" and they are not necessary. I have seen a couple of 2" kits that come in close to 3" and they do need them

Sent from my moto g31(w) using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: louchy

More
15 Jan 2022 22:44 #241188 by Dirtbird
Replied by Dirtbird on topic Lift Kit Question
Lambert Hi
Found them a huge improvement this time around. Now maybe when I took everything apart and put it back together I tightened everything to torque spec and maybe suspension was less harsh this time with Black raptor shock absorbers in place of the pro comp, but steering is now very relaxed, not as witchy. 

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.

More
16 Jan 2022 06:40 #241195 by tomlil01
Replied by tomlil01 on topic Lift Kit Question
Thanks, all, for the advice. I probably wasn't very be clear, but I was wanting to check whether it is ok to do the castor-correction bushes before the lift kit, from a technical perspective. e.g - I wasn't sure whether the bushes might rotate to the wrong angle, or whether it would be difficult to refit the arms or anything like that, doing the bushes first.

Anyway, I got the bushes done at a garage, and I'm halfway through the lift kit now, so hopefully it was ok doing the work in this sequence.

Thanks,
Lee

More
16 Jan 2022 16:35 #241220 by Dirtbird
Replied by Dirtbird on topic Lift Kit Question
It's going to change the geometry of your steering. I'd be inclined to not do the correction bushes until you do the lift purely on safety grounds.

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds