BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Engine Serial Number

• Stabilo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Jan 2022 10:26 - 13 Jan 2022 10:30 #241085 by Stabilo
Engine Serial Number was created by Stabilo
Hello everyone,
I have a non-VVT 1.3 Jimny and I'm thinking of swapping it with a non-VVT 1.6 engine. I found one, the seller said it came from a Liana. It seems to be a non-VVT as the front of the engine is "straight" without any bulge.
I just wanted to know the year/model of the engine to be on the safe side and to facilitate buying parts for it if needed. The only thing I have is the serial stamped on the engine: M16A - 1006757.
I've searched the forum (someone already asked but without a positive reply) and done a search on the internet, but nothing. Apart from the obvious M16A :), Does anyone know how to decode it?
Thank you very much!
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Jan 2022 10:30 by Stabilo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2022 11:59 - 13 Jan 2022 12:13 #241087 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic Engine Serial Number
To the best of my knowledge, there is nothing to "decode" - what you're looking at is a production sequence number, the 1006757th engine in the sequence.

As a parallel, I am my mother's 3rd child, my brother is her 5th, but knowing that just lets you know that I am older than he is, but it won't tell you when I was born.

You should be able to get more detail from the VIN of the vehicle the engine came out of, if the seller has it and will share it with you.
Last edit: 13 Jan 2022 12:13 by fordem. Reason: insert omitted word

• Stabilo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jan 2022 11:06 #241118 by Stabilo
Replied by Stabilo on topic Engine Serial Number
Hello!
Yes, I doubted that this was the case. The seller doesn't have the VIN so if I buy it we will learn the hard way :).
Thank you for your reply!

More
14 Jan 2022 13:50 #241120 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Engine Serial Number
Try a search for Liana Owners Club, there seems to be a few then post the serial number, I am sure a member will check their own number and if you find one close you will get the year.

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
14 Jan 2022 18:17 #241124 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Engine Serial Number
I'm fairly sure the only parts that are different to your original engine are the crank, rods and pistons and if you need to replace any of them you'll probably be looking at changing the whole engine anyway. Otherwise you can use regular Jimny parts.

• Stabilo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jan 2022 10:19 #241252 by Stabilo
Replied by Stabilo on topic Engine Serial Number
Thank you all for your replies.
I will check and go on with the search. If I find some answers I'll post them here.

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds