BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Deciding on a Diff for a Daily Driver

• Lambert
  • Away
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
09 Jan 2022 06:57 #240985 by Lambert
This has given me pause to think, being later Temeraire has traction control and whilst I'm the first to say it's not a perfect system, I can't help think that with a quaife in the back she could be exceptional off road instead of merely brilliant? Time to get saving up.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jan 2022 09:31 #240986 by Busta
Yes an LSD compliments traction control very nicely. It will be fantastic.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• Lambert
  • Away
    Registered
More
09 Jan 2022 11:09 #240988 by Lambert
Just looking at the quaife and it seems they do both front and rear now. 1500 quid is a lot but I don't see what else you could spend that on that would make such a huge difference to the dynamics off road. With 2 I honestly don't see how you would ever really need to rely on the traction control, it would be virtually unstoppable unless you run out of ground clearance.

More
09 Jan 2022 12:50 #240991 by fordem

OK yes, I'm being opinionated again, but I just don't like crush tubes. On my LC I obtained from the states a proper "solid tube". It came with shims and was easy to set up. With a crush tube there is the possibility of flex and I believe a solid tube will eliminate this. I know a guy who had an ARB locker fitted to his LJ70 and flex caused the pinion teeth to dig into the ARB casing. This guy had no mechanical sympathy and his throttle was all or nothing.

Roger

This "flex" is not in the crush sleeve, it's the entire pumpkin that is flexing - it is a "known issue" and ARB has documented the fix for it in their installation guides - I've attached the relevant page for your convenience.

Essentially - the fix is to grind a few thou off the end face of the pinion and add a bevel to the outer edges of the teeth.
Attachments:

More
09 Jan 2022 18:13 #240998 by Roger Fairclough
Fordem.

I know about the mod to the pinion, and it's another reason I don't like the ARB. If you are marketing a device to do something, then you should, in my opinion, ensure it fits without having to modify the original unit. To carry out this mod properly, you need to strip the pinion out to ensure you do not get any swarf inside the bearings etc. Not a 5 minute job. Also you are grinding into the hardened surface of the teeth and that can and probably will ensure breakup at the edge of the teeth.

I fitted the ARB in question and the fit was right on the limit. I advised the buyer and told him of the alternatives but he was happy with the fit as it was. As I mentioned, he was a brutal and unsympathetic driver who did not understand the meaning of the expression "fast as necessary, slow as possible". and his motor suffered as a consequence.

Lambert

If you have traction control and then fit a pair of Quaife's, surely the new diffs. would replace the Suzuki system so relying on them would not be an issue?

Roger

• Lambert
  • Away
    Registered
More
09 Jan 2022 19:44 #241000 by Lambert
With locked diffs no but with a quaife if you get a wheel in the air power goes to that wheel so in that situation the traction control will apply selective abs to the wheel in the air much more effectively than doing so with left foot braking or the hand brake to allow the diffs to transfer power.

More
10 Jan 2022 17:22 #241045 by Roger Fairclough
This still doesn't work for me. If the Suzuki system works as a traction control system, then when traction is lost i.e. wheel in the air, spinning away, the system notes a change in the rpm of that wheel and applies the brake to that wheel. Traction is now restored, or so the system believes, the wheel is still in the air but power can now go to the wheel on the ground. This is the fundamental concept of an ECU controlled system.

The Quaife system relies on driver intervention to load the diff. by applying brake pressure either by foot or hand.

The Suzuki system is automatic and fully selective, so what will the Quaife give you that the Suzuki doesn't?

Roger

More
10 Jan 2022 17:37 #241046 by mlines
Roger - the Suzuki system requires that comparatively high amount of energy/speed is needed in the system before it detects the issue and applies the brakes. This causes an element of wheel spin/slippage, particularly in a "Green Ice" situation on wet grass (all wheels on the ground).

The Quaife relies on the drivers use of braking, meaning it can be made more effective at a lower energy/speed level. (and of course an ARB locker works at effectively zero energy level as it has a locking system independent of energy and wheel speed).

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, LM42, Old Neil

More
10 Jan 2022 21:36 - 10 Jan 2022 21:55 #241053 by Busta
LSDs combined with traction control is the winning combination. The difference is the Quaife is torque biasing e.g. it increases the amount of torque sent to the wheel with traction. With an open diff torque is always divided equally between the wheels so if the traction control applies a braking force of X to the spinning wheel, an equal force of X is sent to the wheel with grip. With a torque biasing diff the force is multiplied so you get perhaps 2X force at the grippy wheel, which greatly improves the effectiveness of the traction control.
Last edit: 10 Jan 2022 21:55 by Busta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

More
11 Jan 2022 09:44 #241059 by LM42
I am guessing, the installation of an LSD , are the same principles, as what Martin did, in his video, of the installation of an air locker?

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using Tapatalk

More
11 Jan 2022 12:43 #241062 by Roger Fairclough
LM42

In a recent article in 4x4 magazine concerning fitting diff. locks, the following comment was made.

"If doing this is a DIY job to you, then you don't need us to tell you how to do it. And if you do need us to tell you how to do it, then you can't do it".

Fitting a diff. requires a dial gauge and a weight scale. The first to set the clearance between crown wheel and pinion ant the latter to set the pre-load. To do the job properly, you need both plus the knowledge on how to use them.

Roger

More
11 Jan 2022 14:28 #241068 by LM42
Can't be that hard , I never done a clutch before, then with 4 weeks I did 2, just asked for advice on here, but you still didn't answer the question

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using Tapatalk

Time to create page: 0.186 seconds