BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Sz5 gearbox and phone question

• Jako999
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Dec 2021 18:11 #240836 by Jako999
Sz5 gearbox and phone question was created by Jako999
Hi all 
I’ve had my Sz5 for a couple of months now and still have a couple of questions.

I know the gearbox is not very smooth and I’ve got used to it but sometimes the gears still feel rougher then other times 1-2 and 2-3 out of 100 changes I get a grate probably once going from 1-2, getting revers also involves lifting the clutch up and down sometimes and on a cold start up I’ve had to put the car in first clutch up then into revers. Is this normal? It’s still under warranty.

How do you set the phone voice volume? When I make or receive a call the volume is at around 40% so I turn it up to around 70% which is great but when you stop and turn the engine off the next time I use the phone it’s reset back at 40%, every other car I have stores where you set the volume to but I can find anywhere to store this setting? It’s a real pain.

Even though it’s not my usual 2 seater, rag top, rocket I’m still liking my little Jimny it puts a smile on my face and it’s certainly slowed me down.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Dec 2021 18:19 #240837 by Soeley
I have occasionally grated the gears going from 1st to 2nd, never any of the others though. Reverse is like you say, if it doesn't go in, de-clutch and try again.

That is how the phone volume is, you have to turn it back up every time, no biggie for me as I don't get many calls whilst I'm driving.

More
29 Dec 2021 21:12 #240841 by sniper
Change the rear gearbox mounts, use mini exhaust bobbins (£3 each)..... 

sniper

More
30 Dec 2021 11:46 #240842 by Soeley

Change the rear gearbox mounts, use mini exhaust bobbins (£3 each)..... 

sniper
Surely the mounts shouldn't need replacing on a Jimny up to 3 years old? Or is this seen as a slight upgrade to better mounts, is 2nd and reverse a known issue?

More
30 Dec 2021 17:27 #240844 by Roger Fairclough
Maybe the problem here is footwear. There isn't a lot of room between the clutch pedal and the bodywork over the gearbox which is why I bent the lever towards the brake pedal to give me a little extra room.
Worked for me.
Also any extra carpet can influence clutch pedal movement. I had the Suzuki de-lux carpet mats but quickly changed them for the more practical rubber ones. These made a big difference as they keep the mud, I walk a lot, in the footwell and off the carpet.
Lastly, like Soeley, I am bemused that sniper thinks that exhaust bobbins are better than a designed g/box mount.

Roger

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
30 Dec 2021 18:17 #240845 by Lambert
On earlier Jimny the linkage isolation rubbers can fail making the change horrible. Mini exhaust bobbins are a suitable low cost alternative.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
30 Dec 2021 19:11 #240848 by Roger Fairclough
SZ5 is a Gen.4, or was a Gen.3 also called an SZ5?

Roger

More
30 Dec 2021 21:59 #240855 by Scimike
The last face lift version of the G3 adopted the SZ prefix, certainly seen SZ3 and SZ4 in the UK, not sure if SZ5 existed for the G3?
SZ replaced the JL /JLX prefix and honestly I have no idea if what the differences was. Suzuki did like to mix specifications and then throw the JLX++GTI badge bin at them in later years, well that's how it appeared to me 
Things appear a little less confusing with the G4 and the SZ4 / 5, well at the moment, give it a few years.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
30 Dec 2021 22:00 #240856 by mlines
"SZ*" is the Suzuki UK method of describing trim level.

In the previous generation there were SZ3 and SZ4 trim levels. ( There were SZ2 levels in some other car models from Suzuki)

Sent from my moto g31(w) using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
31 Dec 2021 00:37 #240859 by 300bhpton

Hi all 
I’ve had my Sz5 for a couple of months now and still have a couple of questions.

I know the gearbox is not very smooth and I’ve got used to it but sometimes the gears still feel rougher then other times 1-2 and 2-3 out of 100 changes I get a grate probably once going from 1-2, getting revers also involves lifting the clutch up and down sometimes and on a cold start up I’ve had to put the car in first clutch up then into revers. Is this normal? It’s still under warranty.

Thanks
Gearchange should be pretty smooth tbh, not notchy at all. Getting reverse should be a 'normal' affair, i.e. no different to any other manual car produced in the past 35-40 years. If yours isn't right, I'd be talking to your dealer to investigate and rectify under warranty.

More
31 Dec 2021 04:36 - 31 Dec 2021 04:37 #240862 by mlines
Both of our new gen4 Jimnys and our old Gen3 Jimny occasionally do similar as did another Gen 3 we had a few years ago.

The usual baulk is going into reverse when starting from cold and requires another full dip of the clutch to get reverse to engage. Going into first very rarely has a baulk.

I put it down to the remote mechanism and it's fairly low cost design. They are definitely not as slick as other manual cars we have had including a current Suzuki swift we have which is a very fast and slick gear change

Sent from my moto g31(w) using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 31 Dec 2021 04:37 by mlines.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

Time to create page: 0.187 seconds