BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Gen 4 Rear Seat Belt removal

More
19 Nov 2021 01:19 #240197 by Kiwi38
I've removed the rear seats from my new 2021 Jimny and plan to put in a flat floor.
I've a question for anyone who might have already removed the rear belts.
There's a plug fitted that's not immediately obvious how to remove it, or indeed, if it's removable. See attached pics for the offending item.
It looks a little nanny state and I wonder if there are unforeseen consequences to its removal? I could bundle the belt section up in a cloth and stow it inside the shell but it would be tidier to take out the whole unit. Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers, Bill
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Nov 2021 09:23 #240200 by Roger Fairclough
Good morning Bill and welcome to the forum.
Your thoughts and my thoughts jelled on this subject. I have removed the seats, so lets remove the belts.
Except it is not that simple!
I found the connection to the electronics and removed the little clip. So far so good. With the belts removed I switched on the ignition and the little light on the dash came on. Put seat belts on. I tried bypassing the connection. No joy. I thought about this and I thought about that but electronics are not my forte so in the end I re-connected the belts and stuffed/taped them inside the bodywork. At least they are out of sight.

Roger

More
19 Nov 2021 18:20 #240217 by Kiwi38
Replied by Kiwi38 on topic Gen 4 Rear Seat Belt removal
Thanks for the reply. I'll ask the dealer if this is something they can turn off just in case it's simple for them to code. I guess Suzuki had to do something similar for the UK van model.
Otherwise I'll just follow your lead and hide them away.

More
19 Nov 2021 19:46 #240218 by lightning
ls that not a pyrotechnic belt tensioner? lt so l would be careful what wires you short out.

More
19 Nov 2021 20:01 #240220 by Roger Fairclough
Kiwi 38.

Please let me know how you get on.

Roger

More
19 Nov 2021 20:08 - 19 Nov 2021 20:23 #240221 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Gen 4 Rear Seat Belt removal
If its the circuit (little plug) that goes onto the rear seat belt mechanism at the bottom of the rear pillar then it is the seat belt pre-tensioner circuit

Obviously you have to be careful with any part of the active restraint system. The recommended way to work is with the battery negative disconnected and the "A/B" fuse removed, waiting at least 90 seconds for the system to discharge any residual electricity.

The pre-tensioner circuit is continually tested by the Airbag system and will put up error messages if it is disconnected. I believe it is not a sophisticated test, it simply looks for a resistance in the circuit as per the table below

I believe you could put a simple resistor across the connections to make it think the pre-tensioner is still there

I AM NOT AN EXPERT ON THIS. YOU PLAY WITH THE SAFETY SYSTEM AT YOUR OWN PERIL. 

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Nov 2021 20:23 by mlines.

More
20 Nov 2021 01:22 #240227 by Kiwi38
Thanks Martin. That would seem well worth a try. I'll report back on how I get on with the resistor testing.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Nov 2021 05:41 #240229 by Lambert
I have nothing practical to add other than emphasise Martin's comment that playing with a safety critical system is playing with fire. Please be mindful that in the event of a collision a loss adjuster will find any and all modifications and will not hesitate to revoke cover and initiate proceedings for negligence etc. BE AWARE THERE ARE CONSEQUENCES.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
20 Nov 2021 10:18 #240233 by Roger Fairclough
I have in the past, and not just on this forum, made people aware that they are responsible for their own actions but in the case we are discussing, the rear seat belts, the rear seats had been removed so rendering the seat belts superfluous. I went no further, eventually, as to tuck the belts out of the way, so providing extra, uninterrupted space in the rear for other things.

I mean no disrespect from this comment, just a reminder that we are aware of our actions.

Roger

More
28 Nov 2021 06:41 - 28 Nov 2021 06:43 #240360 by Kiwi38
 So rear seatbelts removed completely and resistor mod done and
all working with no errors. See pics below.

Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Nov 2021 06:43 by Kiwi38. Reason: Too many pics
The following user(s) said Thank You: mlines

More
28 Nov 2021 17:20 #240369 by Roger Fairclough
Well done Kiwi38. Just two questions, did you use the resistance in Martins list and did you need to do both sides/

Cheers

Roger

More
28 Nov 2021 18:03 #240370 by Kiwi38
Yes, 2.2 ohm resistor and both sides.

Cheers, Bill

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds