BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

wheel balancing beads any one use them ?

More
14 Nov 2021 15:40 #240110 by safari
wheel balancing beads any review on these 
i am experiencing death wobble at  60km and ok at 80km have a 30 offroad tyre bushes , balljoints bearings practically front rebuild i was going to make wheel balancing but with my tires after offroad on rocks i think it will be useless.
any suggestions pls  

if u worry u die if u dont worry u still die so why worry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
14 Nov 2021 16:58 #240117 by Riccy
I use balance beads. Mine are ceramic ones and they weigh about 150g for a 31" tyre (non remould, per tyre). There is a chart on the website to get the right weight for the tyre size.

I've been using them for about 3 years now and couldn't recommend them more highly. Tyre life if far greater as well as they are always balanced, even if full of mud or running low pressures. The ceramic ones are much better and more effective than the plastic ones.

Added bonus is the wheel bearings and kingpin bearings seem to last a lot longer too. I think this is because the wheel is properly balanced all the time. That can be a downside however as it tends to mask wear when using balance beads. Oh and another bonus is that the ceramic beads are re-useable when you fit new tyres ;-)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
15 Nov 2021 06:55 #240138 by safari
tks will try them then

if u worry u die if u dont worry u still die so why worry

More
15 Nov 2021 18:29 #240143 by Scimike
Hi Riccy, 
I've seen the "drill demo" of balancing beads in action, there is a moment before it gets up to speed and the beads distribute that the drill is unbalanced.
Is this just something that happens on the demo or can you feel any unbalance as you pull away, ie silky smooth all the way?
Like the idea myself, just wondering if you feel anything.
ThanksMike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
16 Nov 2021 17:37 #240146 by Riccy
Hi Mike,

When you rotate a wheel slowly on a jack or axle stand you can hear them moving about, but that is pretty much the only time you even know they are there.

Setting off they seem to move to position within a few rotations (even at low speeds) so you don't notice any sort of transition period getting going or stopping.

Hitting a large pot hole at speed can set them a bit off but they seem to sort themselves out immediately and a Jimny isn't exactly good at that sort of shock to start with.

It should be noted that I am using them in 31x10.5r15 tyres that are much heavier than standard size, but I believe they work just as well on motorbike tyres even. Tyre pressure doesnt seem to affect them either.

Also theres none of them ugly wheel weights to loose in the mud :-)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds