BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Spark plug choices?!

More
11 Nov 2021 09:59 #240023 by Waffs1984
Hi all,

New owner so apologies for newbie question - just gathering service items - got oil & filter, air filter on order and looking at spark plugs too as I have no idea when they were last changed. Went on Eutocarparts and using the reg number it literally gave me about 10 different options, all Bosch or NGK but it's not obvious what the difference is, other than  they range from £15 each to £3 each?!

Its a 2003 jimny 1.3 if that helps - not sure what engine code - this is something I need to find/check actually (any tips?)

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Nov 2021 10:56 #240024 by Axholme Lion
Replied by Axholme Lion on topic Spark plug choices?!
I always stick to Japanese plugs for Japanese cars.

More
11 Nov 2021 11:10 #240025 by Waffs1984
Replied by Waffs1984 on topic Spark plug choices?!
Thanks, the ECP site has fitment note under the NGK items as "fitted as OE by manufacturer" so assume they're the ones to go with? Having said that there are still multiple options...

More
11 Nov 2021 12:30 #240028 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Spark plug choices?!
I went for Iridium plugs for my 2011, they were the ones fitted.

NGK Iridium IFR6J11, 4 @ £52.

They are a bit more expensive than non-iridium plugs but are usually better.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

The following user(s) said Thank You: yakuza

More
11 Nov 2021 13:11 #240029 by Waffs1984
Great- thank you. I am leaning towards NGK and that helps narrow things down a bit!

Also just popped put and checked for engine number/type. No sticker in either door shut (other than tyre pressures at drivers side) but metal plaque in engine bay has the engine code as MRK5CCD02. Any ideas?

• Podge
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Nov 2021 13:38 - 11 Nov 2021 13:39 #240030 by Podge
Replied by Podge on topic Spark plug choices?!
Show us a photo of the engine and we'll tell you. If it's a hard top it's more than likely a M13 engine looking like this.

I've been using NGK BKR6E-11 in my Jimny. They're bog standard plugs, just need changing more often than iridium ones (10-15k interval or so). Bonus is that usually you can get all four for under a tenner on eBay/GSF/ECP etc. Previously had Bosch plugs and didn't notice a lick of difference. Jimny has 86hp or so. It's not a high performance motor and I don't think Iridium plugs are going to make a noticeable difference other than to your pocket. But that's just me. 

Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Nov 2021 13:39 by Podge.

More
11 Nov 2021 14:44 #240031 by Waffs1984
Thanks, makes sense - ideally just want the cheapest items to keep me running. Pic of engine as requested. Obviously says 16v dohc but how do I know if its VVT or not?
Attachments:

More
11 Nov 2021 15:58 #240032 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Spark plug choices?!
I would choose NGK. for all petrol cars. Allways. Been using them ever since my moped in '86 :) My daughter just got problems with her Golf straight out from the garage that did the service fitting new Bosch plugs. NGK plugs fixed the problems.
And Iridium plugs may cost more but they last 40-50000km (?)
The Suzuki M engines are high compression ratio motors so I would choose the recommended plugs.
Dunno if the heating and cracking problems with the M13 cylinder heads can relate to the plugs, only pure speculation..:)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

• Podge
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Nov 2021 16:41 - 11 Nov 2021 16:42 #240033 by Podge
Replied by Podge on topic Spark plug choices?!
Suzuki owners manual specs:

Nickel/Copper plugs; Denso K20PR-U11 or NGK BKR6E-11
Or
Iridium; NGK IFR6J-11

So the cheaper plugs can be OEM too.

Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Nov 2021 16:42 by Podge.

More
11 Nov 2021 16:57 #240034 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Spark plug choices?!
The bog standard plugs are around 1/4 the price of Iridium and I tend to agree with Podge, for an engine like the Jimny Iridium isn't really required, so bog standard will be fine.

I only fitted these as that was what was in my Jimny I like replacing like for like and at 50k miles the plugs I took out looked fine, I like doing a job once and then forget about it for a few years.

I doubt you would notice the difference between bog standard and Iridium, especially for the first few thousand miles.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
11 Nov 2021 17:36 #240035 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Spark plug choices?!
The advantage of the iridium is service intervals. Fit and forget for 36k miles as opposed to replace with cheaper every service

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
11 Nov 2021 22:22 #240038 by gv42
Replied by gv42 on topic Spark plug choices?!
I fit the Iridium IFR6J11 in my 2 jimnys

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds