BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Misfire

• Samthejimnyfan
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Oct 2021 20:04 #239147 by Samthejimnyfan
Misfire was created by Samthejimnyfan
We fitted a 1.6 VVT to replace 1.3 VVT.

In short we’ve got an intermittent fault where we get a misfire and it runs rough. In between it’s fine.

The code reader says 02 sensor fault. I’ve changed the MAF; no difference. I can’t find the 02 sensor.

Question I’ve got is has anyone any ideas to solve this?

Thank you very much

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2021 21:03 - 04 Oct 2021 21:10 #239148 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Misfire
It usually in the exhaust system, in the case of the 1.3VVT I believe its the one in exhaust manifold down pipe toward the rear bulkhead..Not 100% sure as it also has a second device post CAT, but bank 1 is generally pre-cat, bank 2 is post CAT. Someone will be along to confirm which.
Not sure what's happen with them in a 1.6 conversion, assume they are in the same location.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 04 Oct 2021 21:10 by Scimike.

More
04 Oct 2021 22:10 #239151 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Misfire
A Jimny only has bank 1, bank 2 is if you have a Vee or two exhaust manifolds and two CATs.

Mike is correct Sensor 1 is before the CAT and sensor 2 is after the CAT. Sensor 1 is either in the manifold or in the pipe prior to the CAT.

Either the sensor is faulty or the cabling has a fault. O2 sensors are difficult to remove from the exhaust if they have been in a while, my other car has two CATs and four O2 sensors, I had to remove both CATs to change the sensors and they needed a fair bit of heat to get the old ones out.

When you changed the engine did you change the manifold or did the 1.3VVT fit? If you changed the manifold with the O2 sensor perhaps it is the wrong type for your ECU?

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

The following user(s) said Thank You: Scimike

More
05 Oct 2021 15:17 #239170 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic Misfire

The code reader says 02 sensor fault.

It would be helpful if you could get the exact fault code - there are several, and they are quite specific, they'll tell you which sensor B1S1 (Bank 1 Sensor 1) or B1S2 (Bank 1 Sensor 2), they'll also tell you what the ECU is detecting as the fault - sensor circuit, sensor response time, etc.

More
05 Oct 2021 15:24 #239171 by DrRobin
The fault code in the picture is P0134 which is O2 Sensor, Bank 1, Sensor 1.

The top left of the screen says 8/8 so there might be more fault codes that we haven't seen?

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

More
05 Oct 2021 15:26 #239172 by DrRobin
The photo also shows O2 Sensor Circuit, No activity Detected, Bank 1, Sensor 1.

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

More
07 Oct 2021 15:28 - 07 Oct 2021 15:30 #239209 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Misfire
Misfire intermittent? how often and how rough? could it be one of the coils?
I got a M13 non VVT (in a swift but still same same) with this error code from time to time. tried cleaning it the o2 sensor but nah. changed a coil so doesn't run rough now. Did run very rough when the coil did act up, as in a severe loss of power.
swapped one of the coils for a used one helped so runs all ok now, but still the fault on the ECU comes back after 2-3 days. Will have to source a O2 sensor I guess. annoying that none of my 5-6 sensors on the shelves from various suzuki sources did not fit.

EDIT: Correction, my fault code does not say "no activity" just inefficient function or something like that.
No activity sounds like a broken wie or broken sensor. 

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 07 Oct 2021 15:30 by yakuza.

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds