BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Spotlight interior switch - where to connect ground?

More
29 Sep 2021 11:09 #238994 by Matt H-E
Hi All,

I fitted my KC Highlighters on the new(ish) Jimny, using the DirtyDogz diagram (which works perfectly, thanks DD):

I used the main beam wire (the single one on the right of the off-side main bulb connector, red wire with grey bands) and wired it via a 3-pin illuminated dash switch similar to:

But, and here's the question....as soon as I connect the 'ground' to any earthing point the light on the switch is permanently illuminated, not just when the spotlights are activated...so, where should the ground be wired to, and have I used the wrong wire from the headlight?

The spots work fine without the ground (only on with main beam when the dash switch is 'on'), it just doesn't have that 'on' light.

Any help most appreciated.

Mattzuki

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Sep 2021 11:54 #238995 by DrRobin
The switch will link ACC and Power pins when closed and open circuit when off. From this point of view it doesn't matter which you wire to 12V and which you wire to the spot lamps, it still switches on and off.

The switch also has a bulb in it, between the switched power and ground.

If the switch bulb is always on it sounds like you have the +12V and spotlight power swapped over.

My guess would be that the switch bulb is wired to Power pin, therefore +12V goes to ACC and the spotlights go to Power terminal. Ground goes to ground. Then the switch bulb should come on when the spotlights are on.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
29 Sep 2021 12:36 - 29 Sep 2021 12:49 #238997 by lookonimages
Suzuki has negative switching that is opposite to what most other vehicles are.

See this post.
www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread....cting-Spots-to-Jimny

There is word doc for wiring diagrams for both positive and negative switching

Suzuki is Negative. Use green one on the doc

Or the ironman wiring diagram.

Last edit: 29 Sep 2021 12:49 by lookonimages.

More
29 Sep 2021 13:43 #239000 by DrRobin
The Ironman drawing (negative switching) is different to the DirtyDogz drawing (positive switching), so if you have wired it as per the DirtyDogz then according to the DirtyDogz drawing the switch connects as follows:

Switch Power - To red on back of headlight
Switch ACC - To Pin 85 Trigger (on relay)
Switch Ground - To Ping 86/30 (on relay) and live (Battery or other 12V)

The Ironman is as follows:

Switch Power - To red on back of headlight (Positive)
Switch ACC - To Pin 85 Trigger (on relay)
Switch Ground - To Ping 86 and black on back of headlight (Negative)

If you have wired your relay as per DirtyDogz, then I would wire the switch as per that as well, otherwise re-wire as per the Ironman drawing.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
02 Oct 2021 10:31 #239070 by Matt H-E
Thanks for all the replies. I'll see what works.

Cheers

Matt

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds