BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Mixing tyre sizes

• DrRobin
  • DrRobin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Newbie in Northumberland
More
15 Sep 2021 09:13 #238629 by DrRobin
Mixing tyre sizes was created by DrRobin
I currently have 205/70 R15 tyres on all four wheels, 2 x Geolandars on the rear (new) and 2 x Duellers on the front (part worn).  When I replace the Duellers would there be any problem in fitting 215/70 R15?  I will probably change the Geolandars to the front and have 215/70 R15 on the rear?

According to a tyre size chart the diameter will go from 26.3" (205/70) to 26.9" (215/70) a 2% increase, so off-road in 4WD there should be enough slip in the tyres to avoid problems with different rotational speeds?  The width will only increase by 5%, will I gain anything?

I wouldn't mix tyres on the same axle.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Sep 2021 14:34 #238638 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Mixing tyre sizes
I would avoid using 4wd has the transfer box doesn't have a differential 

More
15 Sep 2021 19:40 #238649 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Mixing tyre sizes
As long as you use 4wd sparingly  (e.g. only when your wheels are slipping and you actually need it) then it won't cause any trouble there. 2% difference between axles is the equivalent of doing a gentle turn.
The only thing that might get a bit upset is the ABS if you have it fitted. The difference in wheel speeds may make it more sensitive than before.
As to whether the extra width with gain you anything, I'd say not a lot. A bigger diameter is the best way to gain an advantage off-road as it increases both the footprint and ground clearance.

• DrRobin
  • DrRobin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Newbie in Northumberland
More
16 Sep 2021 09:57 #238659 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Mixing tyre sizes
Thanks guys. Given that I won't gain much I think I will stick with 205/70, perhaps just go for a better tread pattern.

I think I wil look for a spare set of rims, then I can have two sets of tyres general summer use and something more suited to winter/green lanes.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds