BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Unicorn M16 vitara found

• Wokka
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Sep 2021 08:00 #238507 by Wokka
Unicorn M16 vitara found was created by Wokka
It seems they aren't that much of a unicorn after all.
I fly back and forth around the middle east for work, and a lot of the countries I visit, (Kuwait, Saudi) have heaps of m16 vitaras, many were bought as gas/water authority cars. Likewise, here in Dubai they have them, but only the J24 motors. Planning on pulling m16 engine, trans and tcase mounts, along with harnesses from the m16 vit, and compare to the J24 vit to see where that places the J24 drive train assembly in the Jimny.

Is there anything else I should grab off the M16 car? (Aircraft hand carry size only)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Sep 2021 08:58 - 12 Sep 2021 09:08 #238510 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic Unicorn M16 vitara found
There are M16 Vitaras with manual transmissions (RWD) and M16 Vitaras with automatic transmissions (FWD). If you have found a Vitara with an M16 and auto trans that is rear wheel drive THAT is a unicorn....at least in areas other than the Middle East. I'll admit that when I was searching, the Middle East was probably the only area that I didn't search for info.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
Last edit: 12 Sep 2021 09:08 by zukebob.

• Wokka
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Sep 2021 03:15 #238534 by Wokka
Replied by Wokka on topic Unicorn M16 vitara found
Cheers Zukebob, should be flying pretty soon, so will see what I can find. I want to stay with a manual set up if possible, and was under the impression the m16 vits also came 4wd, not just 2wd variants, but could be wrong.
Luck has smiled on me, and I picked up a y61 patrol off a mate whose kid nose dived it in the desert 2 days ago. The chassis is tweaked, but the axles are good and come with front and rear lockers on 4.11 centers, so now I have my mind turning

More
13 Sep 2021 06:19 - 13 Sep 2021 06:22 #238536 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Unicorn M16 vitara found
Is this the late Grand Vitara from 2006 and on? Or later Vitara? Got some petrol GV's here in Norway, short wheel base M16 manual 4x4. But the m16 engines is the same as in the Liana. Intake manifold in the GV M16 is exactly the same as Jimny M13 (I bought one to check). And Liana engines are much cheaper from a wreckers because of supply and demand. No one repairs a Liana even for a small dent so parts are very available.
No M18's here but alot of J20 in the long wheel base Grand Vitaras.
Only very few J24's with 169hp and auto.
Edit: All norwegian (99%) Suzuki is 4x4 btw..

But with norwegian prices I doubt bying an engine here for export would be nothing but silly.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 13 Sep 2021 06:22 by yakuza.

• Wokka
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Sep 2021 08:50 #238541 by Wokka
Replied by Wokka on topic Unicorn M16 vitara found
Vitara/grand vitara nameplates seem to be flexible depending on the market you are in. Some only had the "grand" for the 5 door.
Here we have the extended run of the 3rd Gen JT from 2005 to 2019 both 3 and 5 door

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds