BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Already 2” Springs?

• Sean65
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Sep 2021 15:16 #238475 by Sean65
Already 2” Springs? was created by Sean65
Hi. I have just received some new rear damper and was going to fit the spring spacers as per the front. However, on taking the springs off there was no home made spring spacer as I found at the front and the springs are 35 cm.  can i take it these rear springs are already for a 2” lift so do not need the spacers.   Cheers
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Sep 2021 18:52 #238480 by Dirtbird
Replied by Dirtbird on topic Already 2” Springs?
Can you post some pictures Please Sean65

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.

• Sean65
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Sep 2021 20:29 #238491 by Sean65
Replied by Sean65 on topic Already 2” Springs?
Can fo but of what else exactly. The spring is 35 cm. I just don't know if they are the standard or already 2” lift

More
11 Sep 2021 21:01 #238493 by Dirtbird
Take some pictures of the springs and the spacers. If you can put the springs together in a line so we can look at them.

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
12 Sep 2021 04:57 #238498 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Already 2” Springs?
It could be that the springs you have in the back are actually front axle springs as they can lift the back upto 40mm ish.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Sean65
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Sep 2021 06:29 #238504 by Sean65
Ok. Here goes. The one on the left is as they came off.  The one on the right is what I thought would simply go back on. However, the diameter of the top of the spring is too small for the spacer to fit into. 
puzzling. 
Attachments:

More
12 Sep 2021 08:13 #238509 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Already 2” Springs?
I have seen and removed a few springs
And i would say the one with the smaller coil is not from a jimny 

More
12 Sep 2021 10:15 #238513 by Dirtbird
Yes, JackOnlyJack. They look like lift springs in terms of thickness and length. But the one on the Right-hand side is not a Jimny spring. IF the spacer fits into the coil it would fit into the locations but the lift would be more like 3 or 4 inches. Spacer would be acting as an adaptor and dont think it would keep in location for long .

• Sean65
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Sep 2021 18:38 #238527 by Sean65
Interesting, but not surprising given the rest of the things I am finding and repairing, given it was supposed to have an MOT from deepest Wales back in May. My MOT mate would laugh at the fact there are so many obvious failures that I am rectifying. Still, at least I know it will be done properly.

The springs are both the same, it is only that I placed one with the original rubber it came off with and the other with the plastic spacer, which as you say, clearly will not locate into the spring diameter. It looks like I may as well bite the bullet and get the 2" longer springs and have done with it. I am now wondering if the fronts were dodgy, although the spacers did locate into the spring properly but I was not overly happy with the location at the top into the actual chassis housing.

So next jobs are to sort springs, replace nearside rear trailing arm bushes, weld some plates into the boot and get my mate to TIG the rear arches back together as the cutting off of the originals split the skins at the back.

In retrospect I am wondering whether I should just have put the money towards my 90 galv chassis...too late.

More
13 Sep 2021 09:34 #238546 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Already 2” Springs?
Standard rear springs are 275mm long. Front springs are 343mm long. I'd say you have front springs fitted to the rear.

More
13 Sep 2021 14:55 - 13 Sep 2021 14:59 #238559 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Already 2” Springs?
If funds are an issue.......I have Honda CRV rear coils on mine
These are around the same poundage as standard jimny springs.....at a fraction of the cost
They are 410mm tall and give ~3" lift i chopped one complete coil off the rears and put a1" spacer on driver front
From MK1 CRV 1995-2001

Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Sep 2021 14:59 by jackonlyjack.

• Sean65
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Sep 2021 12:44 #238599 by Sean65
Thanks for the helpful replied   I bit the bullet and bought a set of 2” lift springs from Jimny bits.  Two the same length for the rear and two different sizes for the front.  The longer being for the tight to eradicate Jimny lean.  Just doing the trailing arm bushes.  One in and second one broke my size so rather an expensive job and now will have to pay at a garage. 
Really going off the car. 

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds