BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Battery upgrade

• Danparry
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Sep 2021 08:58 #238153 by Danparry
Battery upgrade was created by Danparry
I'm looking for a new battery as mine is getting pretty old
I haven't got any big accessories or anything just an Amp for my speakers and I hook up my air compressor when pump tyres up.
Is it worth going to the hassle of a optima battery or just get a standard starting battery 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Sep 2021 09:27 #238154 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Battery upgrade
I would buy a decent quality standard battery.

Roger

More
02 Sep 2021 10:28 - 02 Sep 2021 10:30 #238156 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Battery upgrade
If you are talking about the standard Gen3 Jimny, perhaps prior to around 2012, then the standard battery is very small indeed.
I would measure around the battery tray and look at the terminal connections you have and then find a bigger battery that will fit. That is what I have done on my Gen3. With the original tiny batteries I found it did not take a lot of winter driving (short runs, lights on, heater etc. on) to deplete the battery. 

I got one from Halfords based on measurements etc (ignore Halfords "battery selector").. Halfords are re-badged Yuasa batteries.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 02 Sep 2021 10:30 by mlines.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirtbird

• Danparry
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Sep 2021 11:53 #238278 by Danparry
Replied by Danparry on topic Battery upgrade
Thanks
I've found a couple of options now.so I'll do that :)

More
07 Sep 2021 12:29 #238317 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Battery upgrade
www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...kuza?start=96#217746

Like in the post over, I did some cutting and welding to the tray so I could fit a more standard width battery. So pleased with it, 75Ah AGM.
No worries with lack of power from it and even with my cold winters, small generator and mostly short drives to recharge, it holds up very well. I sometimes leave the headlights on for working in front of the car for 15-20 minutes, or the LED's at the rear on for hours. Running the ARB compressor to air up and never start the engine to recharge while using the battery. It just goes and goes.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirtbird

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds