BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

First issues with ownership.

• Sean65
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Aug 2021 18:35 #237867 by Sean65
Replied by Sean65 on topic First issues with ownership.
Hmm. That is what I feared. The body mount is an easy enough weld. The springs. Do i need to get proper top spacers to fix. (There is also the Jimny lean) As for the crappy rotating rear mount. Does it look like I can drill or ate there proper mounts I can buy. I am beginning to fear it was a crock of **** that should have had more careful inspection. Having said that, if I can fix relatively easily then maybe not all is lost. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
26 Aug 2021 02:11 #237874 by Lambert
It's entirely possible to rebuild that properly for a very modest amount of money either like for like but with actual engineered parts or with a spring and dampers kit that will improve the functionality of the car.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Sean65
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Aug 2021 05:32 #237877 by Sean65
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationGood to know. Thank you, 
Would something like this be more up to the job as these seem to fit the bill. 
Looking at the DIY spacers, I think it looks about 2 inches. Would you agree.
It's not going to be a daily car, so a full kit is a route I don't want to go..Yet! I just want it more road worthy/safer than it is. The welding I can do in a couple of hours....hopefully

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
26 Aug 2021 11:19 #237884 by Lambert
That's going to be way more appropriate than what it currently has

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Sean65
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Aug 2021 13:58 #237894 by Sean65
Thank you. I shall order them up. Would you agree that it looks to be about 2 inches given the rubber has probably compressed more than the proper stuff?

On my earlier question. I was thinking about the low range. I did realise mine has the manual lockers on which I did not engage when messing. Am I right in thinking that the low range will only work if it is in 4wd or will it still need further investigation once I have more confidence in the suspension.

• Sean65
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Sep 2021 13:31 #238284 by Sean65
Well i have installed the spring spacers at the front and repaired the front of the body around the mount.  I also managed to source some better condition headlights with the wiring still attached so I should be able to solve the indicator issue. 

So. On to the rear.  Lower damper bolt removed. I cant obviously see much of a spacer at the top of the springs. Also, with the dampers removed the rear bounces with the merest of push. Is this normal or are the springs probably knackered.   I was also reading about the lean.   Am i right. The rear right spring is stronger to compensate? Any thoughts would be appreciated as usual. Thanks

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds