BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

First issues with ownership.

• Sean65
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Aug 2021 18:08 #237698 by Sean65
First issues with ownership. was created by Sean65
  Hi all. Having driven the 02 Jimny back last night with no indicator first job new bulb. Hmm. Bulb or bulb holder.  Power lead floating around near the housing. Or so I thought. Off to motor factors. Not a push in like the lead suggests. Chap said amber bayonet fit.  First mystery. Photo attached.

Next off to check 4x4 and Low range. Mine is not a switch but the lever. 4wd. Seemed to engage according to the green light on the dash. Press down for Low. Hmm. No obvious change   I was expecting it to be like my 90. Is there supposed to be an indication light on dash for low. How can I definitely check?  Beginning to think i may have bought a pig in a poke.  

Any help for a still enthusiastic new owner please. . For now.
cheers
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Aug 2021 19:32 - 18 Aug 2021 20:06 #237699 by lightning
Low range is definitely evident when driving, but doesn't have the same feel as a Defender, where you can be in low range fifth gear at 20mph and doing quite high RPM

A twenty year old Jimny is going to require some love, in the same way that a twenty year old Defender will.

Every Defender l've bought has needed at least one fairly major expense after purchasing.
Last edit: 18 Aug 2021 20:06 by lightning.

More
19 Aug 2021 00:58 #237706 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic First issues with ownership.

Hi all. Having driven the 02 Jimny back last night with no indicator first job new bulb. Hmm. Bulb or bulb holder.  Power lead floating around near the housing. Or so I thought. Off to motor factors. Not a push in like the lead suggests. Chap said amber bayonet fit.  First mystery. Photo attached.

Surely there's a matching bulb/bulb holder on the other side - remove it and use it as a specimen.

• Sean65
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Aug 2021 06:35 #237709 by Sean65
Replied by Sean65 on topic First issues with ownership.
Thanks. This was my next option but thought i would query seeing as motor factors didn’t have anything other than bayonet fit listed. Test lamp option to see if it flashes perhaps. .

Major expense. Apart from needing a new chassis. My 90 has been great. Maybe I need a longer play with the low range. Is there s dash light to give me some idea.

More
19 Aug 2021 07:45 #237710 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic First issues with ownership.
Low range is down and back. There is no light on the dash. You should notice as soon as you pull away that 1st gear is lower.

• Sean65
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Aug 2021 11:11 #237711 by Sean65
Thst’s shat I thought but there seems no obvious change .

More
19 Aug 2021 12:04 #237712 by lightning
Similar to a Land Rover, it's probably never been used and is siezed or jammed.

More
19 Aug 2021 12:05 #237713 by Busta
I've never heard of low range not working but I have known people to have trouble selecting it. The pattern is on top of the lever. Shift back for 4wd, then press down and shift back further for low.
It can also be hard to select if the vehicle has had a body lift fitted. In this case the gear stick fouls the body and needs to be bent, or the hole in the floor trimmed.

• Sean65
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Aug 2021 14:02 #237714 by Sean65
My 90 has definitely been used although i did have to play with that as previous owners certainly hadn’t been beyond a grassy car park. The instructions on the lever are clear enough snd I had wondered if it was a consequence of raising.
When i stop driving around picking up stuff my wife keeps buying on Marketplace. I will have a proper look. Lol

• Sean65
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Aug 2021 09:31 #237857 by Sean65
I have ust been away for a few days and have just taken some photos whilst the chap was swapping my tyres over. Perhaps some could advise what lift does it appear I have and also what is going on with the non symmetrical rear shock lower mounts. The don't look right at all, or is it just some odd peculiarity of it being raised which I doubt.

More
25 Aug 2021 14:33 #237861 by Busta
There's some dubious looking DIY action going on there! Spring spacers on the front, rotted out front body mount but no body lift and looks like they have tried to make rear shock spacers but didn't understand the significance of having the pivots at 180 degrees to each other.

More
25 Aug 2021 17:16 #237866 by Roger Fairclough
The spring does not appear to be correctly located at the bottom. Spring spacers obviously (badly) home made. The home made rear shock mounts have 1 bolt to locate instead of a minimum 2 and it has loosened and the mount has swiveled.

Roger

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds