BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Oil pressure switch thread size

More
14 Aug 2021 16:54 #237549 by Motleycrew
Hi there, 
Does anyone know the thread size of a gen3 Jimny oil pressure switch. I am going to re-purpose it for a bosch dual oil pressure and temp sensor but will no doubt need a adapter.
cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
14 Aug 2021 17:19 #237550 by Lambert
Which engine, g13 or m13?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
15 Aug 2021 08:42 #237561 by Motleycrew
Thanks for your reply, having looked into more I should put a sandwich plate on the oil filter. I have a m16a non vvt engine. Most ones I found that claim they fit a JDM size of 20x1 but when I measure the thread on the Jimny oil filter screw it seems to be 18mm?

More
15 Aug 2021 08:48 #237562 by Motleycrew
FyI I will setup mechanical lines to the gauges. I didnt realise that the bosch dual sensor can not be ran to a dial directly. Its possible to send it to the link ECU I will have but would be a nightmare to output it to a dial plus the ECU would not be using the data for lookup etc.

More
16 Aug 2021 18:28 #237609 by fordem
1/8" BSPT on both G & M series engines, and every other Suzuki engine I've ever looked at.

More
16 Aug 2021 20:21 #237614 by Roger Fairclough
What fordem said.

For a suitable adaptor, try a hydraulic hose and fitting supplier.

Roger

More
16 Aug 2021 22:45 - 16 Aug 2021 22:48 #237620 by fordem
If you want oil temperature (which I don't really see the point of), you can't do it from the oil pressure switch port - you'll need the temperature sensor in the path of oil flow, so the oil filter sandwich, or maybe mounted on the side of the sump where it will be immersed in oil.

The oil in the sump is picked up by the pump and sent to the filter so the temperature in the pan will be pretty close to what's passing the filter.  The oil will be hottest coming off of the underside of the pistons where it's falling back into the sump, and there's no way to measure it at that point.

For oil pressure, I would suggest you retain the low oil pressure switch - it's a lot easier to see a red light wink on with your peripheral vision than it is to notice a gauge needle slowly unwind to zero.

You'll need a tee to connect both the oil pressure switch and either the gauge sender or the hardline to the gauge - you do NOT want to mount the tee directly off the oil pressure port - the vibration will cause it to fatigue & break - use braided stainless steel flex to connect the tee to the port and hard mount the tee on the firewall or somewhere convenient.

Try demon tweaks for the braided flex and the tee.
Last edit: 16 Aug 2021 22:48 by fordem. Reason: additional detail

More
26 Sep 2021 13:26 #238955 by Motleycrew
Thanks, did not see this till now. I have a sandwich plate on the oil filter with three 1/8 take offs. I have a Liana 1.6 and a turbo that is about to go on so I want to know oil temp as I will not be running a oil cooler.

More
26 Sep 2021 13:29 #238956 by Motleycrew
Garrett GBC 17 
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds