BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Power Loss / Stalling - Help Needed

• Lee-rol
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Aug 2021 10:10 #237320 by Lee-rol
Power Loss / Stalling - Help Needed was created by Lee-rol
Hi all, I'm a recent owner (6 weeks in) of an 08 plate Jimny. So far really enjoying the experience and love the car.However I have a problem with the car stalling and losing power. I've done a fair bit of research on this forum and across the internet, it's sounding like a bottom/crank pulley issue. 
 The issue I have is that I've taken it to the garage, they are skeptical this is the problem and think it's more likely to be a crank sensor or MAF sensor issue. I do have a warranty from the dealer, so they'll be covering the cost, but what I don't want to do is waste time/money pursuing the wrong issue (and then possibly face problems getting the money back from the dealer - I bought the car at a distance so can't take the car back to the dealer).
 I'd really appreciate any advice from this forum's experienced owners so I can point the garage on the right direction.
I'll describe the problem below:The car itself is relatively low mileage at 41k. It's an automatic and has been serviced each year of life, so is otherwise in good condition.The problem initially occured when coming to a stop, the car stalled without making much of fuss.This then progressed to a juddering stall, with engine struggling. A tap of the throttle resolved it.Then finally the car broke down entirely when travelling up a fairly steep hill, it seemed to lose power almost as if it was in the wrong gear and needed to drop down. After a bit the car stopped altogether and I couldn't get it to start. Then about 30 mins later I managed to move the car to a safer spot.I called the AA out, luckily the engineer had some experience with Jimnys and thought it was probably the bottom pulley. However it was tricky to be sure as, after the rest, the engine was running normally again.
 Any help would be much appreciated 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2021 11:42 #237321 by Busta
It definitely won't be the crank pulley.
It could be the crank position sensor.
It could be the catalytic converter has broken down and is blocking the exhaust.
It could be a coil pack.
These are all known issues with the Jimny. MAF sensors never give any trouble.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lee-rol

• Lee-rol
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Aug 2021 11:48 #237322 by Lee-rol
Replied by Lee-rol on topic Power Loss / Stalling - Help Needed
Hi Busta, thanks for your reply. You're broadly in agreement with the mechanic, which is reassuring. Based on that, I'll probably ask the mechanic to start with the crank sensor and if that doesnt work pass on your suggestion regarding the coil pack and cat.
Thanks again!

More
05 Aug 2021 18:56 #237334 by DrRobin
It might be an O2 Lambda sensor, if it isn’t any of the above.

Have you got an OBD code reader or did the garage use one, that should show a sensor fault or one on the way out.

Another outside chance it might be the air filter.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

• Lee-rol
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Aug 2021 06:37 #237384 by Lee-rol
Hi Robin, thanks for your reply. The garage did run a diagnostic, initially, nothing showed. However after the car stalled again they got a MAF error. The problem is the mechanic is concerned that the MAF is a symptom of a different issue (ie crank sensor) and not the actual issue, so potentially a bit misleading.
I'll pass on your lambda suggestion when the car goes back in on Monday.
Thanks again

More
08 Aug 2021 08:00 #237387 by bryn
I had something similar and thought it could be a fuel issue but it turned out to be the coil pack/leads.
If you do a search of posts on here for coil pack post etc I think you’ll find the symptoms you are experiencing similar.
bryn

More
08 Aug 2021 16:59 #237410 by Dirtbird

It definitely won't be the crank pulley.
It could be the crank position sensor.
It could be the catalytic converter has broken down and is blocking the exhaust.
It could be a coil pack.
These are all known issues with the Jimny. MAF sensors never give any trouble.
Have you tried to read the codes with the SZ app and a £10 blue tooth plug in reader. You problem could also be a MAP sensor. 

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.

• Lee-rol
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Aug 2021 11:57 #237593 by Lee-rol
Thanks for everyone's help, lots of useful suggestions. The garage is going to start with the crankshaft sensor and then work through the other options if that doesn't in solve thingsUnfortunately the part is on back order with Suzuki, so could be a wait till I get the car back on the road.

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds