BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

2003 Jimny making metalic screeching noise on morning startup

More
07 Jul 2021 14:32 #236492 by bonairediver2021
Hello Jimny Experts!

My used 2003 Jimny (automatic transmission) 170,000+km... now making metallic-like screeching noise on first start up in the morning... it sounds like metal on metal.....but the noise fades after about 1 minute and doesn't come back upon subsequent startups later in the day.

Can anybody give me a suggestion on what this noise might be?  Could it be a sign of a big problem about to happen?  Could something need lubrication perhaps....or transmission fluid low.... the car's transmission was not great when I got the vehicle (used from Japan).... as it jerks when going into 2nd gear.... but I just needed a cheap 'island car' to get around and don't mind the jerking as its not terrible yet, but maybe that sound is connected to the wonky auto transmission?

I don't really have any skills as a mechanic, but is there any easy to do lubrication I can do for the car to keep it going as long as possible?

Anthony

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
07 Jul 2021 17:36 #236504 by Lambert
If you're not that mechanical first check the transmission oil level there is a dipstick near the firewall it's probably red in colour. Also as well as checking the level have a sniff of the oil on the stick it shouldn't smell burnt, then if you're able to access a professional workshop and get them to do a transmission oil and filter swap that may well help with the jerky transmission. As for the screech the fact that it is intermittent is going to hinder diagnosis, most of the likely culprits would do it every time you start the car.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
07 Jul 2021 18:21 #236505 by lightning
Have you checked the auxiliary drive belt? That can make a loud screeching noise on startup, if it's loose or worn out.

More
07 Jul 2021 18:40 #236506 by fordem
The alternator drive belt is what I'd be checking - a loose or worn belt will slip under load, typically just after startup when the system is trying to recharge the battery, as the battery charge comes up, the load is reduced and the slip (and screech) gradually get less until they stop.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
07 Jul 2021 18:50 #236508 by Lambert
As he said in his other thread the belts have been adjusted and no longer scream.

More
07 Jul 2021 21:53 #236511 by lightning
A spray of WD-40 on the belt will prove it's not that. Worn belts can still screech if adjusted.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
08 Jul 2021 04:36 #236513 by Lambert
I was thinking about this last night and it could also be a bearing in one of the spinning ancillary components like the air conditioning pump or the belt tensioner bearing. Or it could be more serious.

More
09 Jul 2021 00:03 #236542 by Fossie
Experience of the K engine maybe limited and from the photos it is different from the usual G13bb or  M 13  engines normal fitted to UK models , but essentially the issues will be the same ..I covered pretty much all the options on my daughters ...( alternator again Dec 29 2020) ..
 The alternator can suffer from seizing bearings which create friction as the belt tries to make it turn espiecally when wet or damp.
our issue I believe/ hope was the crank pulley grooves full of rubber from previous belts causing slipping even though the belts were tight.

More
24 Jul 2021 14:57 #236924 by Filfrasen

This one ?

It could scream or get som noice, especially in cold weather in the Winter, half minute or so.

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds