BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Advice needed on new belts for my 2003 Jimny

More
04 Jul 2021 01:00 #236368 by bonairediver2021
I bought a used 2003 Jimny from Japan.... and the drive belts are making noises.... can anybody advise me what belts to order and where to order new belts that will fit appropriately?'

Thanks!
Anthony

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
04 Jul 2021 06:03 #236375 by Lambert
Welcome to the forum. Do you know which engine it has installed, if not can you post a picture so we can identify? The most likely will be a 4pksomething which relates to the pulley style and length. Alternatively if you have the vin number you can contact Martin in the shop at the top of the page and he can supply from that.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
04 Jul 2021 08:00 #236377 by mlines
Have you checked around as noisy belts is often something like the crank pulley failing, alternator bearings on the way out or the water pump.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
04 Jul 2021 10:05 #236383 by RainerK
I second Martin there. A belt never makes any noise except for squeaking, if it is to loose or if one of the components that are driven by the belt have a too high resistance usually because of a damaged bearing.

What noise does your belt make and when?

For example, I like it if the belt is on the loose side. This leads to a short squeaking of the alternator right after starting the engine because then the alternator has the highest output and consequently the highest resistance, but only for some seconds.

The reason I like the little looser belts is:
- I think that the bearings of the components have a little less load and last longer
- If the squeaking lasts longer I know that there is an issue with the charging, usually it indicates that the battery is dying.

More
05 Jul 2021 13:00 - 05 Jul 2021 13:01 #236416 by bonairediver2021
Thanks for your kind replies! I'll try to post a photo of the engine here shortly.

The belts make a squeeling noise when first starting up....but not always.... about half the time. I live on an island (Bonaire) at the end of a road where lots of dirt road dust blows down the road at the Jimny. I'm guessing the dust keeps causing the belts to slip when first starting? Also, I park near the sea often and after a park near the sea, the belts squeel for a while when first starting. I'm guessing it's moisture from the sea causing the belts to slip a bit....but the noise eventually goes away after a minute or so. I will look up the VIN and engine info and post. Thanks to all you experts!
Last edit: 05 Jul 2021 13:01 by bonairediver2021. Reason: correct typo

More
05 Jul 2021 13:01 #236417 by mlines
That sound related to the Alternator. It is working hard in the first few minutes to put the starting load back into the battery, can you make it squeal more by turning on the headlights?

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
05 Jul 2021 13:13 #236418 by DrRobin
One of my belts squeeled a bit on start up, especially when turning the steering wheel (power steering increases load). I thought it was probably a bit slack, but before I could fix it the crank pulley failed and one belt came off. Unfortunately one belt was damaged, but I replaced both.

After doing all of the work, twice as it happens as the new pulley arrived with damage and had to be replaced, the squeeling was still there, so I checked the tension and it was a little out, after it was tightened the squeeling went.

You might want to check the tension, if that is okay then have a look at the pulley.

I have been to Bonaire a couple of times on a cruise about 11 years ago, loved the place. I am not sure where you will get replacement belts, possibly a Suzuki dealer or motor factors, or possible have them mailed in.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

The following user(s) said Thank You: bonairediver2021

More
05 Jul 2021 14:15 #236422 by bonairediver2021
I've attached some photos of my 2003 Jimny engine and belts..... looking for advice on what belts to get to replace these and where to buy them? thanks all!
Anthony
Attachments:

More
07 Jul 2021 07:16 #236471 by Busta
Couldn't tell you without taking them off and measuring. Not many K6A Jimnys in the UK! If you look on ebay someone will be selling them with the sizes in the advert.

More
07 Jul 2021 14:24 #236490 by bonairediver2021
Update on my squeeling drive belts on my used 2003 Jimny I brought to the island of Bonaire from Japan via a ROR ship....
I stopped by a local mechanic.... they said both belts were loose, especially the belt that drives the AC compressor.... in 10 minutes he had them all snug....noise gone...and no charge for the work!  What a brilliant young Bonairian mechanic he was....and a generous supervisor/garage which did it for free! Amazing good news!

More
07 Jul 2021 14:36 #236493 by DrRobin
Excellent outcome. It is amazing how tight the belts need to be, I think it is around 7mm movement, but the easiest way is to twist the belt in the middle of the longest run, it should twist through 90 degrees with a little bit of effort, but no further.

Still if you can get the garage to do it for free, even better. Best drop off a bottle of the local good stuff sometime.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds