BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

JIMNY SNORKEL FITTING

• jeanma27
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jun 2021 23:54 #235693 by jeanma27
JIMNY SNORKEL FITTING was created by jeanma27
Hello Mates!

I recently installed a snorkel kit on my jimny ( first upgrade installed by own hands ) i will be attaching pictures so you can tell me if it is a good job, i felt the snorkel fitting tight into the airbox rubber and it sounds awesome when you are on the run but i still have a doubt about if i should put silicone anywhere ( maybe on the connection to the air box? inside or outside? drain hole on the airbox? ) if so... what kind of silicone? Is permatex black RTV or gasket maker safe? 

thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
10 Jun 2021 05:12 #235695 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic JIMNY SNORKEL FITTING
Getting a snorkel to really seal very well is bit of a moot point on a petrol powered car, are you really going to be expecting it to be able to idle under water? Maybe on a diesel that is an option but on a Jimny the electrical system will probably object before it ingests water. Also sealing the drain valve might be a problem if you encounter a heavy rain storm and more water goes in the top of the snorkel than can be evaporated by the heat of the motor. What I'm saying is that for a bit of peace of mind crossing the odd deepish river the seal doesn't have to be absolutely perfect.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Groundworker
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jun 2021 06:13 #235697 by Groundworker
Replied by Groundworker on topic JIMNY SNORKEL FITTING
If a snorkel isn't well sealed, it's probably worse than the original air filter, I only use my Jimny for trialling and we often go into water over the top of the wheels. Not many people use snorkels because they make the car wider so increase the chance of hitting a crane and scoring points.
Three villages near me flood every year, I've driven nearly every 4x4 I've owned through water up to a couple of feet deep, to be honest, much deeper than that, you start 'floating', especially in a Jimny. There is a cross flow in the floods, and even in my loaded Dmax, you can certainly feel it when it gets really deep. I've just bought a new Jimny which has a snorkel fitted (badly) so I'm just about to put it back to standard.
A guy I used to trial with in the eighties, used to green lay in an SJ413. He adapted the air intake so he could attach it to a pipe he had installed through the bulkhead, so the air intake was inside the car, always seemed quite sensible, cheap and simple way of overcoming the wading problem.

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds