BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Transfer box Trail Gear Ratio Upgrade

• Cparky
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Jun 2021 12:46 #235514 by Cparky
Hello Jimny friends.  I have removed the transfer box from my 2001 Jimmy.  I am using a kit from trail gear to upgrade the high and low ratio by 24%.  I’m at step 32 here trail-gear.com/downloads/pdf/instructions/304955-3-INS.pdf

I can’t seem to figure out where the gold piece (pic attached). Fits into the equation.  I stupidly never photographed the unasembly process.  Anyone have any idea what is the correct order and how the pictured parts fit together?

many thanks 

callum
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jun 2021 14:36 #235515 by yakuza
Is this the part where the three balls fly out in three random directions? That is fun! I lost them 4 or 5 times but allways found them. I had problems putting this together as well but that was because the syncro ring was broken so it expanded when it was pushed in. Went in with alot of fiddling when i got the new ring from Japan. I do not remember using any other manual than what the gear set came with. But mine was the push button transfer.

I Think I put the balls and springs in first and slid it into the box as one piece. Do not Think there was any aids like tape or cling film

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

• Cparky
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Jun 2021 14:43 #235516 by Cparky
Replied by Cparky on topic Transfer box Trail Gear Ratio Upgrade
Haha yes but pre push button it is slightly different. Instead of balls it has 3 “keys” and 2 clips to hold them in. Although they don’t really hold them in at all. Is the synchro ring pictured in my attachment? I think that is what I need to understand

Thanks!

More
01 Jun 2021 14:51 #235517 by yakuza
Bronze inside and Steel outside is the syncro ring. It is at a cone part on the shaft and the shift ring is outside of it. The shift ring will slide onto the syncro ring and speed up the other parts so shifting goes smooth. I Think i had to slide the shift fork, shift ring and everything into the housing as one assembly. it was a handful..

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

• Cparky
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Jun 2021 15:07 #235518 by Cparky
Replied by Cparky on topic Transfer box Trail Gear Ratio Upgrade
Great thank you. I think with my kit I didn’t need to stop it down so far, but it came with all new oils seals so thought to replace them all. I think I’ve got the right order now!

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds