BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Re:Lacking power

• TS2211
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 May 2021 12:50 #235087 by TS2211
Replied by TS2211 on topic Lacking power
The weight increase without passengers is 140KG. With me and my Mrs inside the weight increase combined is 328KG. Stock vehicle weight is 1135KG.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TS2211
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 May 2021 12:51 #235088 by TS2211
Replied by TS2211 on topic Re:Lacking power
Hi,
Yes it's had a brake upgrade.

• TS2211
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 May 2021 13:00 #235089 by TS2211
Replied by TS2211 on topic Re:Lacking power
I'm not sure what the relevance of this is? What's the snorkel got to do with anything?

• TS2211
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 May 2021 13:06 #235090 by TS2211
Replied by TS2211 on topic Re:Re:Lacking power
I didn't install the winch on this or the ARB recovery bumper. I just couldn't pass on buying a vehicle with over 20K extras on an already expensive car for 30k.

I've came here to ask for advice and detailed everything the previous owner did to this Jimny with the help of the creator of this forum. I think the thread has heavily side tracked even debating insurance lol. I just want to know if there's a middle ground for better highway performance and off roading.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
16 May 2021 13:20 #235091 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:Re:Lacking power
Yes there is. It's going to involve accepting that a Jimny that is close to GVM is going to be quite bad on fuel and neither quick nor fast. Yes it is potentially possible to throw significantly large amounts of money at making it more powerful for example adaption to individual throttle bodies or for similar work fitting reduction gears to allow the available power to be used more constructively but neither will do much for the fuel consumption. The other alternative will involve putting the car back closer to standard and on a diet but then you loose the cooler toys and aesthetic you have paid for. There will always be a compromise as perfect doesn't exist.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
16 May 2021 13:46 #235092 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic Re:Re:Lacking power
Increasing the allowable load (or weight) of the Jimny is, at least in Austria, no issue. There a lots of Jimnys with snow plow and salt dispenser and this equipment requires more carrying capacity.

The only pieces that are exchanged are the springs. Supplied is also a certificate that is required to have the vehicle data changed accordingly.

www.horntools.com/suzuki-jimny-25mm-aufl...zubehoer/p-7458.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: TS2211

• TS2211
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 May 2021 14:23 #235093 by TS2211
Hi,
We always had intentions of having a backup set of alloys and tyres. These are 80/20 in favour of off-road so we'd like to get a 50/50.

I'm ignorant with tyres and alloys. I'm hoping there's a middle ground where I can get some lighter alloys and tyres. Current ones weigh 4 times the factory. Do you have any recommendations? I just don't want it to look like I'm driving on smarties.

Back to the origin of this post though... As someone with presumably extensive knowledge on these vehicles; if money, time & effort was not a hindrance, would you get forced induction on this?

I think my point has been lost in the side tracking. My issue is overtaking at speeds over 55mph. Now in most cases this wasn't an issue but yesterday for example on the M6 there was a quick lane closure with no warning which meant I had to merge into my right lane. I indicated and moved but the car in the lane I was moving into was forced to break and I was unable to accelerate to keep the flow of traffic. It's only in circumstances like that & inclines at speed which cause an issue. The gears you'd use for off roading are absolutely fine and it is great but 4th and 5th feel underpowered.

Thanks for your replies

More
16 May 2021 14:34 #235094 by Roger Fairclough
With you and your wife onboard you are 28kg over the legal limit for this vehicle.

Your insurance is invalid.

I note that you are getting upset at the comments that have been directed at you but we on this forum take pride in the advice that we offer. This motor was built as a "Lets throw everything at it" as a sort of exhibition motor and advert. Unfortunately the Jimny is such a light motor that it didn't take long before the weight was approaching critical levels and two things became obvious, mpg went up and performance came down.

You cannot alter this with the spec. that you have. I suggest you look at what was added, decide on what you want the motor to do for you, and then, if you are unsure, ask what you can do without.

Roger

More
16 May 2021 14:35 - 16 May 2021 14:37 #235095 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Re:Lacking power
TS2211,

You are correct, people are going off at a tangent and not sticking to the question.

All - please keep answers constructive and on-point.

The issue is general acceleration.  

We have no evidence of the weight, we have supposition on top of supposition. 

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 16 May 2021 14:37 by mlines.

• TS2211
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 May 2021 14:42 #235097 by TS2211
No. I'm not getting upset I just don't see why people are going so far off track with the question. I have not said here: I'm going to keep everything that's on it and continue to add. Have I? No, people are assuming that I am. I've came here for advice and I've took advice: change wheel setup, consider regearing, remove the winch, remove the snorkel, etc.

Through the night there's been self contained conversations going off this thread that make no sense and are irrelevant. Like debates about whether or not all this was necessary, despite me not doing the modifications in the first place. Debates on whether I've notified my insurance about the changes, (I have) and so on. It's causing the new people who join this thread to continue in conversations completely irrelevant to the principal, like debates on weight additions to vehicles in other countries.

I respect what you're saying about the weight but I've also added 50kg or so as an unknown because the weight of the ARB recovery bumpers, points and underside protection are debatable. Some say as little as 70lbs and others claim 200lbs+.

I appreciate what you're saying but the legality of driving it and the consequences are my own. Being notified is fantastic but swapping the focus of this thread to something we don't know is factual is unnecessary.

• TS2211
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 May 2021 14:47 #235098 by TS2211
Hi,

Thanks for bringing this up. It's true and we are aware of the weight and it's being weighed tomorrow. And we always had intentions of changing the alloys and tyres as we've known they're a bit to much for the average person. But nobody asked haha.

The general consensus is going in the direction of changing the alloys and tyres, if not, regear it. We'll see if there's anybody who's yet to talk about forced induction. It's been spoken about previously on this forum so I imagine it must be an option.

Thanks for your reply.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
16 May 2021 15:10 #235099 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:Re:Lacking power
The problem with forced induction is that the amount of serious development work done on this is relatively minimal. Consequently it is entirely possible to put a rod through the block with too much boost. I would be cautious. Hence suggesting individual throttle bodies as a safer option for a bit more power. The options for a lighter tyre will revolve around the load rating of a particular size, your average bfg will probably be a 106 index or higher and therefore have massive sidewall structure which makes it heavy. Going for a lower rating like say a 96 or 98 index will reduce the weight. It's also worth looking at steel wheel options as off road alloys tend to be quite chunky and therefore not as light as a forged racing wheel.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds