BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Re:Lacking power

• TS2211
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 May 2021 17:42 #235050 by TS2211
Lacking power was created by TS2211
Hi everyone,

I recently bought a MK4 Jimny that had been heavily customised by Buzz Special Vehicles. It's had front and rear recovery points mounted, underside protection plates as well as an ARB recovery bumper and winch. Unfortunately I'm finding the car to lack any sort of pulling power especially in 4th & 5th gear (I assume due to the addition of heavy extras). At 60MPH I also only average around 19MPG which is less than ideal. 

The car has had so many extras that I have no issue paying any amount of money in order to try and increase the pulling power and MPG. What would be your recommendations? I've been informed that a turbo with boost control or a supercharger would be the best bet. Also, with all the additional weight; bigger alloys and tyres, OME lift, ARB diff locks, recovery mounts, recovery bumper, protective plates and sills. Would you say there's extensive strain on the factory transmission and clutch?

We want to add a roof rack tent and various camping equipment to the rear so I imagine it's only going to get worse. 

Any help would be appreciated guys! 

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
15 May 2021 19:04 #235051 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Lacking power
Welcome to the forum. Have you had it regeared to compensate your bigger tyres and additional weight?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: TS2211

More
15 May 2021 19:18 #235052 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Lacking power
Welcome to the forum.

As far as I am aware, that one was not re-geared. If thats the case then it has a combination of larger diameter tyres and a lot of added kit.

Jimnys are not swift off the mark in standard form, leave alone modified. They certainly become sluggish very quickly when modified.

There are some people alleging that they have modifications that give it a few extra horsepower, including a video off one  suggesting they got around 500Hp but I seriously doubt that one is genuine as the engine would have given up long before that level of horsepower was achieved.

I would look to re-gear in some way first to restore what power the Jimny has to a more useful part of the rev range. The usual way to re-gear would be to look at differential or transfer box re-gearing. I would certainly look to getting that sorted before adding more weight and wind resistance.

It is never going to be that fast however.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• TS2211
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 May 2021 19:23 #235053 by TS2211
Replied by TS2211 on topic Lacking power
Hi,

Thanks for that. Are you one of the workers at Buzz Special?

How would I go about getting that done? Would regearing it for let's say a longer 3/4/5th gear potentially make it worse? I'm guessing regearing would make it better for MPG but worse for pulling.

Mostly we want it to be fairly capable off roader for camping and green laning so if there's not a middle ground then we'd probably leave it.

Is fitting a turbo something you wouldn't recommend?

Regards

• TS2211
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 May 2021 19:24 #235055 by TS2211
Replied by TS2211 on topic Lacking power
Hi,

No it hasn't been regeared. Is that your recommendation?

More
15 May 2021 19:33 #235056 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Lacking power
No I am not from Buzz, I run BigJimny :)

I did source some of the parts for that jimny for the owner and Buzz.

I would certainly look at some form of re-gearing as I seem to recall it has large tyres on 16 inch rims?

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

Martin

235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
15 May 2021 19:34 #235058 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Lacking power
The idea of a regear would be to lower the gearing in either the transfer box or the differentials. This would reduce top speed but increase the utility of the available torque to a point where it is useful.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• TS2211
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 May 2021 19:41 #235059 by TS2211
Replied by TS2211 on topic Re:Lacking power
Hi,

Oh yeah! In the email of all the extras he mentioned you sourced a lot of parts.

So really then it's only regearing that's a decent option? Would that in turn hinder its off road capabilities?

Here's all the extras, minus a few he forgot haha.

OME (Old Man Emu) 50mm suspension lift

Pioneer extended brakelines

16" x 7" KMC alloys x 5 off in Bronze

235/70/16 KM3 BFG Mud Terrain tyres x 5

ARB side protection rails

ARB Winch mount system / recovery bumper

Warn VR EVO 8S winch with plasma rope and wired & wireless remotes with seperate in vehicle isolator through an Albright solenoid

ARB Intensity flood lights

Ironman front recovery points

ARB diff lockers to both Rear and Front Axles

ARB High Output compressor + air chuck

Rigid SRM Pro Midnight Edition reversing lights x 2 off

JIMNYBITS underbody protection:

Shock and Radius arm guards

Front diff guard

Fuel Filter guard

Transfer box guard

JIMNYSTYLE:

Electric window switch extensions

Rear defog wire guards

LED side indicator repeaters

Mirror covers with LED indicators

Rear LED tail lights

Forge Motorsport Stainless steel exhaust

BIGJIMNY:

Genuine rear camera

Genuine Brazilian Snorkel

Genuine big brake kit

Genuine armrest

Genuine front & rear speaker install kits with uprated Pioneer speakers x 4

Genuine parts rubber floor mats to front and rear and rear loadspace mat for when seats are folded

Full Ceramic Coating

More
15 May 2021 19:46 #235060 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Re:Lacking power
Ok, those tyres are not quite as large as I thought

235/70/16 are just over 29 inches which is still larger than normal

Re-gearing will also make off roading performance better.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

Martin

The following user(s) said Thank You: TS2211

More
15 May 2021 20:18 - 15 May 2021 20:19 #235061 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Re:Re:Lacking power
l saw that one advertised for sale. lt sure looked impressive!

Someone has certainly tossed a fortune at that Jimny. l guess with only a N/A 1500cc it's going to struggle with all that kit.

19mpg is pretty bad, my Defender 110 will do nearly 30mpg at 60mph and that weighs two tonnes!

l guess already having flung £25,000 at it (according to the seller) the best thing would be to fit a turbo.

You'll not get enough extra power from the engine without doing that. Lowering the hearing would help, as already suggested, but then it will be screaming its head off at motorway speeds.
Last edit: 15 May 2021 20:19 by lightning.

• TS2211
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 May 2021 20:38 #235062 by TS2211
Replied by TS2211 on topic Re:Re:Lacking power
Hi,

Not sure if it sent my last reply so sending again.

He spent £20,500 on extras after he had all extras from the factory. Hence why I want to respect that and do the car justice.

I drive from the Midlands to Skye often as I have land there and rentals. Due to this I'd want better MPG but I don't want to ruin the off road capabilities and ultimately I want better pull, not less speed... I want both haha.

Unfortunately finding a turbo is difficult as there's no tried and tested. Would you recommend a standard turbo, turbo with boost control or a supercharger?

Your helps really appreciate

More
15 May 2021 21:26 #235065 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic Lacking power
What does it weigh with all that stuff on it?

I was asked a few months ago about putting a turbo on a K15.......I've no idea what the insides of one of those is like...if anything like the M series the rods will be made of cheese.

It's hard enough and expensive enough to source parts to make an M series strong enough to last.....£400 for rods £700 for nuts bolts and studs £750 for pistons....manifold to source...exhaust to modify...cheapest part is a turbo......intercooler @£200 and if you can't do the work yourself then you've to consider the labour.....or having the tools and knowledge to actually do it.

I've attached an example of project drift.....huge turbo from a twincharged M series.....decided I'd like to have LPG for a bit of economy.....DI LPG won't support enough power in standard form.....so just a supercharger.....unless I change my mind again :D  

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds