BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Rattle sound going in-between 3.5 k and 4k RPM

• Sn0w
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 May 2021 15:24 #235030 by Sn0w
Hello fellow Jimmy owners, I have noticed a weird rattly noise when I accelerate to about 3500 and 4000 rpm, any rpm's above that or below, is whisper quiet. If I rev from a standstill, I don't hear anything but if I am on road and I rev upto that dreaded point, I can hear the rattle.

I took my car to two mechanics who either couldn't notice the sound or they just told me to change gears and that I am reving out.

I took it to an exhaust shop and the person said they was nothing wrong.

Finally, I took it to an official Suzuki dealer where they said it was the catalytic convertor. But its suspect because there's no check engine light and the car turns over and drives smoothly.

I have tried to change the air filter and spark plugs but that didn't help much.

Has anyone experienced this?, What are other alternatives to getting a new catalytic converter.

​​​​​​

​​​​​

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 May 2021 15:31 #235032 by jackonlyjack
Could be the heat shield attached to underside of car
heat shield on the cat itself 
new cats on e bay for around £70

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
14 May 2021 15:39 #235033 by Lambert
As Jack says it's probably a hear shield, is it a zingy metallic noise?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sn0w

More
14 May 2021 19:22 - 14 May 2021 19:23 #235038 by Scimike
Its already been said above, but just to be clear it's possible it's the heat shield that is around the catalytic converter, on the exhaust, not on the car body. They rust / fatigue at the weld joint, it's common for it to look fine but close inspection will reveal a crack or snap in the front pipe.
You can weld it back, but you are just extending the inevitable - a new catalytic converter.

That is how mine failed and funny enough it had a rev dependant rattle just like yours.

Get underneath with the engine running and have a feel for escaping exhaust gas around the Converter, a sure sign it's broken. Careful not to burn yourself.
Catalytic converters are cheap enough and aftermarket work fine on the Jimmy.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 14 May 2021 19:23 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sn0w

• Sn0w
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 May 2021 03:16 #235162 by Sn0w
Yes, it's a metallic rattly noise

• Lambert
    Registered
More
18 May 2021 06:35 #235164 by Lambert
Then get an assistant to hold the revs in the range that makes the noise and get under the car with a sturdy stick and applying moderate pressure check around the exhaust and its immediate path touching every bit you can and isolate what is making the noise. Be aware that catalytic converter will run at upwards of 600 degrees Celsius so don't touch with anything you don't want to burn.

More
18 May 2021 12:51 #235176 by DrRobin
When the engine is under load it will move slightly on it's mounts, especially when accelerating, that might be enough for something to touch on the exhaust system and cause the rattle, which is not there when the vehicle is not moving.

It could also be that the prop shaft needs to turn to get the sound. The answer will be the same something loose.

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

• sunyboy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Jun 2021 21:08 #235534 by sunyboy
hi did you find out what rattle was ive same problem on a 2014 jimny mostly between 50 and 60 mph and when going up a hill slight rattle any help be grate thanks

• Jimnycv
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Sep 2021 20:55 - 30 Sep 2021 20:56 #239020 by Jimnycv
Hello, fellow Jimny owners,

I am having a similar problem with a 2019 Jimny, except here the rattle comes in at 1.5k - 1,75k RPM. After a couple of months, I recently tracked it down to the engine area but can't pinpoint where it is happening. Could someone with a bit of mechanics knowledge point me where to look?
The car was exported from Europe to Cape Verde, where there are no Suzuki dealers, so the guarantee is of no use.

In the video below you can hear the sound come in at the 18 second mark.

Thanks a lot

Last edit: 30 Sep 2021 20:56 by Jimnycv. Reason: video did not upload

• Lambert
    Registered
More
01 Oct 2021 05:16 #239025 by Lambert
That sounds like an exhaust heat shield to me.

More
01 Oct 2021 07:18 #239029 by Soeley
Really hard to tell from a video, might be worth investing in a mechanics stethoscope and start probing different areas of the engine to locate the noise.

More
01 Oct 2021 08:08 #239037 by lookonimages

Lambert wrote: That sounds like an exhaust heat shield to me.

I am with Lambert on this one. It sure sound like metal vibration that is introduced at a certain RPM.

But it can be anything. Do you have access to workshop pit so you can get under engine to see if you can spot something from underside.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds