BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

M series VVT Automatic gearbox modifications.

• saKKuth
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 May 2021 10:54 #234863 by saKKuth
I have recently bought a 1.8l auto jimny with the plan to throw fat tyres on it and give it a hard time on sand, mud and everywhere.

I am currently rebuilding the car and bolting on 4x4 essentials w/lift kit and ha e a large trans cooler with thermo fan attached to pop onto it.

My concern is that these auto boxes die easily when anything more then stock 1.3l power is made and that concerns me.

I figure i'll need to rebuild the auto soon, if not immediately (car has 370,000k's on the clock on original 1.3 motor, never driven with the 1.8).

My question is, are there any performance modifications i can do to make this box handle more torque, and if not, is there another known auto i can modify i to the car that is upto task?

Basically i want this thing to be bullet proof and would rather get it right now, then have more problems to chase in the future.

Cheers!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 May 2021 12:45 #234865 by zukebob

saKKuth wrote: are there any performance modifications i can do to make this box handle more torque

No.

is there another known auto i can modify i to the car that is upto task?

No.....in practical terms.

Adding a cooler is about the only thing you can do for the stock TW40-LE. One of the AW4 transmission used in some Vitaras would probably be what you are looking for. With enough money and modification one could be adapted but there is nothing that comes close to a plug-and-play alternative.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
The following user(s) said Thank You: saKKuth

• saKKuth
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 May 2021 09:32 #234894 by saKKuth
Replied by saKKuth on topic M series VVT Automatic gearbox modifications.
Cheers! I am definitely not against modifying a vitara box to fit.

This is where I get hazy however, is what model am i looking for. The JB grand vitara 2.4l 4cyl? Or is there an even rarer model I have ti hunt down?
Basically my main concern is bellhousing and torque converter lineup. I can sort out the arse end of the box, mounts and electrics but i have only just started looking into this.

More
07 May 2021 03:17 - 07 May 2021 03:20 #234907 by zukebob
When I mentioned the cost and work of adapting an AW4 (actually 03-72LE), I was really talking about creating something like this Samurai adapter kit   for a Jimny. As far as a rare model, I have seen claims of a 2006 - 2008 SWB NGV with a M16 engine and 03-72LE transmission. With one of those you should only need to deal with control module issues. After a lot of searching through multiple market areas, I believe that this Vitara model is a unicorn. If it ever existed, it was in such small numbers that you are never likely to find one. All I ever located in that model and year range was M16 with manual and the 03-72LE behind a J series (I think).

You mention the J24B. In honesty this engine/transmission combo (or perhaps the J20B with auto) is probably the most straightforward conversion if you want a strong auto transmission. With the engine specs (168hp and 227Nm torque) you would be obliged to go with a SJ transfer case swap. While I have only reviewed this from the 30,000 foot level, using the Vitara engine, transmission, loom and controllers along with the SJ tcase should be more straightforward than other auto transmission conversions. There would still be a lot to research but that is where I would start. You would also need to be prepared for additional modifications (as you start to have failures with other components in the drivetrain).

As an addendum: The J24 conversion was done by someone in the land of OZ. No details other than reports that it is a monster.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
Last edit: 07 May 2021 03:20 by zukebob.
The following user(s) said Thank You: saKKuth

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds