BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Driving in 4 wheel drive on road!!

• Suzukisam2
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 May 2021 19:44 #234829 by Suzukisam2
Driving in 4 wheel drive on road!! was created by Suzukisam2
Hi all I have had many jimnys over the years however none with a rocklobster box.
However....I didnt realise I had it in 4 wheel drive when driving on the road for a fair few miles as I wasnt familiar with the gear positions I also had hubs locked in .
will I have damage any running gear ? If so what's usually first thing to go ?it does seem to have a click / clunck when setting off from the rear :(((
thanks Sam . ( old member new username)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 May 2021 20:56 #234834 by Roger Fairclough
This set-up can be very damaging, the extent depends on a number of factors.
1) The closer the tyres are to having similar diameters is good as it will reduce axle wind up.
2) The looser the road surface is good as it will promote wheel spin which will eliminate, at least partially, axle wind up.
As you don't mention rough running or a gradual slowing down, then you may be in luck but I don't like the click/clunk from the rear. Is this noise new or was it always there?
As to what goes first, it depends on the condition of lots of things from the T/box onwards.

Roger

More
03 May 2021 21:19 #234835 by mlines
It would be the weakest part that fails. I would suggest that the weakest part would be a CV joint at the front or the splines on the rear halfshafts,

If either went there would have been a loud bang followed by lots of crunchy sounds. If the CV joint had gone it often feels as if someone has grabbed the steering wheel and snatched it from your hands

A clunk can be the UJ worn, the axle mounts worn or wear in the Diff.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Suzukisam2
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 May 2021 20:09 #234850 by Suzukisam2
Replied by Suzukisam2 on topic Driving in 4 wheel drive on road!!
So stripped it down today halfshaft look ok however rear prop uj has shot needle bearings out so I will replace them and hopefully that's that sorted .
Can anyone confirm if a QL102 universal joint will fit ? Measurements are correct
QL15002 is same measurements however it's a sealed unit .
Thanks Sam

• Suzukisam2
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 May 2021 20:11 #234851 by Suzukisam2
Replied by Suzukisam2 on topic Driving in 4 wheel drive on road!!

Attachments:

More
05 May 2021 08:06 - 05 May 2021 08:08 #234858 by lightning
lt's not a good thing to do in a Jimny for the reasons mentioned already.

However if everything else on the transmission is still working on the vehicle apart from that universal joint, you most likely got away with it.

Change to 2wd and carry on.
Last edit: 05 May 2021 08:08 by lightning.

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds