BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Towing a trailer with 2019 Jimny

More
29 Apr 2021 20:04 #234764 by Busta
I regularly tow several different trailers, including a ~500kg unbraked trailer behind my Jimny. It tows absolutely fine but an unbraked trailer extends the stopping distamce significantly. Do so at your own risk!

Re. the 85% rule, I think it still has it's place for caravans and those that rarely tow anything else, but it should not be applied to towing in general. A caravan is a big empty box, so to be of any significant weight they tend to be massive. It's the size that is more of an issue than the weight. A ton of sand in my 8x4 trailer handles perfectly well behind the Jimny at 60mph. A 1,300kg caravan would be a completely different matter. Wind resistance alone would make it unfeasable to tow for any distance.
The topic has been locked.
  • Lambert
  • Away
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
29 Apr 2021 20:36 #234766 by Lambert
I have towed all kinds of things with Dreadnaught and many other vehicles and by far and away the most challenging are live loads which being a shepherd is unavoidable. Caravans while being high volume low mass are still aerodynamic in comparison to a flat bed stacked with hay or a twin deck stock box. Also for all caravans are mostly single axle they are simple to load and balance unlike a live load that even with divided compartments can and does move assuming you don't load them to an inhumane crush. It's also worth noting that the caravan club are not a statutory body and whilst they're at liberty to push their "professional" opinion it is nothing more than that, an opinion. If a vehicle manufacturer has set a tow limit, however arbitrarily it is determined it is part of the legal homologation process which requires adherence to construction and use regulations, of the car and no manufacturer is going to set a tow limit that is going to expose them to liability.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
  • gajaviki
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Apr 2021 21:05 #234768 by gajaviki
Replied by gajaviki on topic Towing a trailer with 2019 Jimny
Thank you guys for your replies!

I live in Georgia and nobody cares about your trailer weight, police only cares for plate number and documents, so that's not a problem for me. 

My trailer is 140kg with motorcycle mounts, Husqvarna FE350 weighs wet 105kg, so two of them is 210kg. 210+140=350kg + passenger + luggage will reach 450-470kg. I just want to make sure, that it's safe for myself and for Jimny too. Upgrading Jimny brakes to braided brake lines, will make a difference? 

More
29 Apr 2021 21:20 #234769 by DrRobin
I would have thought that your passenger will be in the Jimny and if you put as much weight in the car as you can then you should be close to the 350kg limit so it probably isn’t going to be a problem.

More weight in the car helps with stability and as long as the brakes are good and powerful then adding weight helps under braking. Just avoid fast corners and make sure the trailer is well balanced, the nose weight on the Jimny is only 75kg

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
30 Apr 2021 10:10 #234777 by Roger Fairclough
The caravan Clubs figure for towing is based on analysis of tested combinations but it cant take into account the ability of the driver.
I drove a walk through panel van towing a twin axle trailer loaded with 20 motor trail bikes. All up weight about 5 tons. I was operating a trail park for North Tyne CC. I passed a test for the van and then the van and trailer. This involved a series of tests including reversing the combination into parking areas denoted with traffic cones. Now if all potential caravan / trailer drivers had to pass a test that included normal traffic situations then road safety would be improved and maybe the Caravan Club would be able to increase the 85% figure that they specify at present.
I am aware that the clubs 85% is not a governments figure which is why I have made the comment above but I believe the figure is realistic because it is based on tested situations. The club is also calling for statutory testing for all potential and existing drivers wanting to tow.

Roger
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds