BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Compatible models for chassis on a 96 Jimny

• kebert
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Apr 2021 20:40 #234573 by kebert
Hey all, looking for some guidance while I impatiently await the arrival of my Haynes manual. Looking to buy aftermarket chassis parts from an American company like AC Delco for shocks and springs but I am running in to an issue where Amazon is only listing the X-90, Vitara, and Samurai (sometimes). It appears the the JDM Jimny is the the same as the Samurai just rebranded but not too sure of the X-90 and Vitara.

To get down to the question, has anyone bought shocks, control arms, springs, etc. for the previously mentioned vehicles and it fit the 96 Jimny? Same question applies for lower exhaust as well.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Apr 2021 03:26 #234580 by Lambert
The x90 and vitara are different things to the Jimny. That said there may be some cross compatibility but it won't be much and I couldn't tell you what. The Jimny was known as the sj in Europe either 410 or 413. There was also santana which were Spanish built and the samurai that was in North America. Very late ones were also coil sprung and much nearer the gen3.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: kebert

More
20 Apr 2021 06:48 - 20 Apr 2021 06:56 #234586 by zukebob
If yours is tagged a Jimny, I assume it is a JDM model. If your "Jimny" looks like this (similar to a JA11) it is a late model SJ413:

The Samurai stopped being sold in the U.S. in 1995. Rather than getting parts there, You may want to check the Australian market for spares as they continued receiving the later model (96-98). They did come into Europe as well but I think the quantity was limited. From my understanding it is known as a SJ80 (even though it is a 1.3 litre) with an internal code of JB32. In Australia they normally just refer to them as coilies.

Edit: After a quick Google I found this shop in Australia: 1996 - 1998 SJ80 Parts I'm sure much more is available.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Apr 2021 06:56 by zukebob.

More
21 Apr 2021 01:11 #234615 by fordem

It appears the the JDM Jimny is the the same as the Samurai just rebranded but not too sure of the X-90 and Vitara.

Be very careful when shopping for anything JDM related - JDM vehicles are built for use in Japan and frequently different to what appear to be identical export models - the JDM Jimnys typically have smaller engines than the export models, and even when they have the same engine the emission & injections systems will typically be different.

More
21 Apr 2021 08:37 - 21 Apr 2021 08:41 #234619 by yakuza
I have owned several SJ413 and Samurai all bought here in Norway. Naturally my knowledge is based on the cars here and details will vary depending on markets, area and years. Some of my Samurais came from Spanish production. All had G13 engines. Also got a 2005 Jimny now.
Brake parts are similar or same between models. actually have used brake parts on my 2005 Jimny from 1985 like brackets for calipers in the front. these are the same on Vitara short wheel base as well.
Springs and dampers have all been leaf spring on my SJ's. it is the same springs and dampers wether SJ or Samurai, but the axles and frame is different as they changed the widht of the axles in 1988. from then on they where 4cm wider on each side 8cm together. i believe the JDM still was narrow track but guess only. springs and dampers still the same i believe. if your Jimny has coil spring I have no idea, but I would not be suprised if these was similar to the 99 and later Jimny. Suzuki have often been using the same or similar parts for several models. Maruti parts also have found their way from India to my SJ's.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 21 Apr 2021 08:41 by yakuza.

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds